8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathescope 200b

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathescope 200b
Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2007 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
A friend of mine has just come across a pathescope 200b that will possibly need some re-wiring and a film about Pearl Harbour approx 60ft?Is it worth anything and is it of any interest to anyone regards Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Tell your friend to be careful with it because there is Asbestos in the lamphouse. Pull off the bakelite cover on top and you can see it on the inside of the walls.

From your description its probably worth around £30 to £60.

Most 200b's were designed with 110V motors so there should be a transformer or voltage dropper unit with it.

There are lots of 200B's around as this was possibly Pathescopes biggest selling projector.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2007 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham,
I'll let him know regards Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 11:40 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham

An old topic I know but how dangerous is this projector to use?

--------------------
Tony

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 03:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
I would think that the presence of 70 year old Asbestos inside a hot lamp house compartment and a blower could possibly be pretty hazardous, but the exact risk is probably impossible to quantify. What we do know is that you definately don't want to mess with small asbestos fibers being blown into your home, they are killers and the effects (mesotheliosis) take decades to show up. The 200B is a great 9.5mm silent projector design(probably Pathe's best), but because of the possible asbestos hazard, I personally would not touch one, not even for shelf display. Back in the 1930's when the 200B was designed, Pathe (and everybody else) knew nothing of this.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2007 11:24 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 200B with the asbestos removed which a local company did for me. But most times the 200B stays in the box as i'm a bit paranoid to use it. IMHO it is one of the best looking projectors ever made and I plan to put it in a glass cabinet eventually and put on display.

However I dont think the asbestos is as dangerous as originally thought. Most sufferers of Asbestosis are those who have worked in the industry breathing in the fibers every day. And White asbestos (which is in the 200B) is nowhere near as deadly as the blue or brown type. Ask yourself "How many people have died from asbestos in projectors or other heating equipment". I dont know of any but I did read of a car brake worker who was changing brakes every day and became very ill but this was his daily job and is the only one.
Remember Asbestos was everywhere once, Ironing boards, Gloves, Ceilings, etc.

My advice is to remove the asbestos carefully and wipe clean the inside with a damp cloth. Then leave the inside fully exposed and switch on the projector outside and leave it for an hour. If any particules did drop down onto the fan, they should be gone for good. A windy day also helps.

Graham S

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC