8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathe 9.5mm Lux

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe 9.5mm Lux
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 16, 2007 09:50 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that Claus might be interested in some details which I have taken from the book "The Home Cinema" by Gerald McKee (who sadly passed away in June 2007, aged 81).

The LUX (Latin for light) was introduced in November 1931 with a choice of two lamps, 40 watts, type "O", for notched titles and a 100 watt, type "S", for SB (super bobine) films.

In 1933 a superior model YC was launched. This took the higher powered 160 watt "SS" lamp.

As a collector's item the LUX is much rarer than the BABY as it was marketed for a much shorter time and was relatively expensive.

The machine is suitable for a modern lamp conversion using the A1/220 12volt 50watt tungsten halogen lamp. The transfromer can be housed in the old resistance unit, thus keeping the original appearance.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

Thanks for the info on the 'Lux'; according to the seller, it is the YC model I am getting, but he mentions only the 100W lamp.

Being unfamiliar with any but the most basic 9.5 machines, I picked this one to have as a nice exhibit along my 16mm Kodascopes (but possibly also to run a bit if I buy some film.)

Here is what my seller wrote:
(Quote):

PATHESCOPE "LUX" PROJECTOR 9.5mm

w/Original 'S' Type 80volt 100watt Lamp

This beautiful Pathe Lux 9.5 Projector was made in 1933 and originally sold for £30. The 'YC' version (of which this is a near-mint example) was a totally new design, outfitted with proper plated film gate and larger lamphouse for extra cooling, was actually a recall because the 'S' type 80volt 100watt lamp was too powerful for showing the still frames of notched title releases, and customers complained that it burned up the film.

Hence the scarcity of this projector which was either returned to the manufacturer or thrown away. I have replaced the original 'S' type lamp with a 6 volt halogen lamp for immediate use and added a small transformer attached to the motor. No holes were drilled and is attached with an L bar teed off one of the original screws on the side of the motor, and Velcro.

I have saved all the original parts, the original lamp and insert pin for reattaching the power line, and can be fully restored in a matter of minutes.

(End Quote)

I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 01, 2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a Lux which was converted to modern QI lighting. It did take me many years to locate a good machine and complete, needless to say it is my pride and joy. Notched films are fun and for my self Napoleon is the finest title on 9-5.

A good number of Lux machines are no longer usable due to the gates breaking up, but if you find a solid machine and in good order the Lux is a great choice and of great interest to visitors at your home Cinema.

Introduced in 1932 by Pathe its amazing these machines are still around let alone working and this is testament to the pioneering engineers at Pathe who produced millions of 9-5 projectors for home use.

As I say, the only draw back is that the gates were originally made of Mazak castings which over the years have crumbled away, but with the Lux having been produced over several years you may yet find a good machine.

Another 9-5 notched classic I like is Violets Imperial, another silent classic.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2007 02:20 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

I thought I would share a few pictures of my 'Lux'.
The machine runs well, but the bulb doesn't light; I haven't had the time to check it out yet:

-

A couple of detail shots:

-

-

And the new 6V lamp the seller put in:

-

Well, there it is. I have taken a solemn oath not to start buying 9.5 film, since the other formats are more than enough for my wallet (then again, I have been known to change my mind about such things.... [Big Grin] )

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 11, 2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice Claus. Expect you are like the rest of us Lux owners who are very pleased to own the Pathe machine. I think this one has to be the most wanted machine on 9-5 and I certainly love mine now that I have found one.

When I got mine it did have a short holiday in the car boot of forum member Graham Sinden as I collected at ealing from another seller. Graham was good enough to let me leave it in his car bless him.

We run the Lux several times a year here for silent shows and I play 78rpm records with the films. All this takes place once I secure a member of the audience to sort the record player which is also of 1930's vintage.

What a joy 9-5 is....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2007 04:29 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

78s, a lovely match for this old girl. I have some myself.
Once I figure out what's going on with the lamp, maybe I should get at least one film to test it with. (This is what I said when I got the Bolex M8 too, and let's just say I didn't stop with one film.) But, there are many worse ways to spend your money [Smile]

Claus.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC