8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Baby Problems

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baby Problems
Rod Stone
Junior

- posted March 31, 2008 04:55 PM      Profile for Rod Stone   Email Rod Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all - I have a Pathe Baby and many family films (1927-32) and some commercial films as well. I replaced the flywheel thanks to Mr. Parfitt however I have a problem with the automatic stop device. The film stops when the notch is reached but does not restart. The traveller moves across and snaps the engagement are forward however it does not move the film forward to move the stub over to hold the arm with the pin that forces the cam forward to engage the teeth. Any ideas would be appreciated. I am also interested in upgrading the bulb if you have any suggestions.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2008 06:51 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rod, and welcome to this great forum. We are all here to exchange cine ideas and help each other on all aspects of film collecting.
Sorry, but right now I cannot help you on the trip device on the Baby. I have disabled mine (by means of a paper clip inserted into the trip mechanism) as I do not run notched films. I did this because it greatly eases the threading up of the machine.
Regarding the light conversion, I have successfully converted my Baby to 12volt 20 watt halogen lighting, using the lamp socket and little transformer from a 12 volt landscape light from Lowes or Home Depot. Make sure the socket is ceramic not plastic. You will need to DIY a little metal adapter tube to mount the new socket to, with the neck of the tube engaging into the existing cylindrical neck of the Baby lamphouse. Its very easy to do, and the transformer mounts into the existing base of the Baby, formerly occupied by that lethal 115 volt resistance matte.

-

-

If you can get a copy of Keith Wilton's latest 'Armchair Odeons' DVD , you will find a section on there with me discussing the conversion, which may be of help to you. You can get the DVD from Derann, or directly from Keith at Filmtek. Make sure you specify an NTSC DVD.

http://www.bfcc.biz/
Go to the Filmtek section and find the Armachair Odeons 2-disc DVD. Keith will supply it in NTSC if you request it.

[ March 31, 2008, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rod Stone
Junior

- posted March 31, 2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Rod Stone   Email Rod Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - thanks for the welcome and the advice. I will use the resources you suggested.
Rod

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2008 08:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rod, I've added a couple of pics above. The filament of the lamp is dead center on the condenser lens axis (picture angle is misleading). You adjust the lamp up and down, and rotate it, for maximium brightness, using the existing little saddle clamp on the Baby lamp house tube. The screen picture is noticeably brighter and whiter than Pathe's original lamp, and the 12 volt 20 watt lamps are cheaper than dirt and available just about anywhere.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rod Stone
Junior

- posted April 01, 2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Rod Stone   Email Rod Stone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul = the pictures are great! Again, many thanks.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC