8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9,5mm projectors & notched films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9,5mm projectors & notched films
Erwin Geeraerts
Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Erwin Geeraerts   Author's Homepage   Email Erwin Geeraerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Does anyone know which 9,5mm projectors recognises the notched title frames of the 9,5mm films?

I know the Baby and Lux projectors do but are there other projectors that recognise notches? I think the the Pathescope 200B and Pathescope H projectors also recognise them.

But what about the Pathé Vox, Pathescope gem, Pathé coq d'or, Lapierre projectors, SadarHandy, Dekko, Alef Privat and many others ...?

--------------------
CINEGRAPHICA

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Chaney
Junior

- posted June 13, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Jeff Chaney   Email Jeff Chaney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe you are stuck with only the baby and Lux, there may be other hand crank ones like the Ace and others but in terms of motorized you should check Grahame's web site as he has most of the 9.5 projector's detailed.
There is the ability on the Paillard Bolex G / G3 that allows you to stop the projector and still have an image on the screen but YOU have to be the one, the projector does not do it automatically like on the baby, etc......
unfortunately the ability to recognize the notch negates any ability to project a big bright image or else you'd burn the frame.. It is a trade off you need you consider. I prefer the bigger brighter image and look mainly for SB titles. Or in the case of a notch only release I have even read out the titles so people can follow along like in the case of the feature SONG with anna may wong...
Best of luck
Cheers
Dino Everett

OH and as for some of the ones you mentioned -
200B - No
H - definately no (shutter was in front of the gate)
Vox - No
Gem/Son - No
Coq D'or - yes

Paul Stanley
Junior

- posted June 13, 2008 12:14 PM      Profile for Paul Stanley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erwin. I would look for a Pathe Lux which is what I now use. These can be improved with a modern QI lamp as well which will give you a better image. Do take time and make sure the motor is good and that the little notch lever mech works to stop the titles. These are the two bad points for this machine but we are talking about a antique item anyway.

My Lux gives a good 4ft picture in a fully dark room and I use it quite a bit. You will also find it is unlike anything else Cine wise and great fun.

I obtained another Lux for a pal and he is also hooked now. Films go for around £3 a reel once you get to know people interested in the same thing and you will find it to be quite a small number who collect and show these films. Lux projectors in working order sell for about £70 to the enthusiast and not on ebay.

Good luck in the search.

--------------------
Lets get Lee back on the Forum action group!

Martyn Stevens
Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2008 03:31 PM      Profile for Martyn Stevens   Author's Homepage   Email Martyn Stevens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erwin
The only machines I know that recognise notched are the Baby, the Kid, the Imp, the Lux, the Coq d'Or and finally the Bolex PA (9.5) and DA (9.5 and 16). The only ones worth considering are the Bolex machines because, although you have to re-engage the mechanism by hand after each notch, at least there is sprocket feed. Non-sprocketed machines cannot help but put more strain on film at best and, at worst, can seriously damage film. I have seen so many damaged 9.5 silent notched films with a range of damage attributable to the lack of loops.
There will no doubt be a storm of protest from Lux lovers, but basically a machine without sprockets is a toy and not for the serious collector/projectionist. Fine for a bit of fun, but we will never have any more new 9.5 and we should do everything possible to protect what we have.
I have no direct knowledge of the less well-known (in the UK) machines like the Lapierre etc, but a notch does require a complicated bit of mechanism (more so if you have sprockets)and the cheaper the machine the less likely it is to bother. The Vox and Gem don't, nor do the 200B or the H. Some Bolex P3's were rumoured to be capable of notches, but I don't know of one.

Martyn Stevens

Erwin Geeraerts
Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2008 02:30 PM      Profile for Erwin Geeraerts   Author's Homepage   Email Erwin Geeraerts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the replies.

Well I have already a Pathe model G with super attachment and motor and a Lux. Unfortunatly the notch lever on my Lux does not seem to work. Now I'm waiting for the arrival of a Coq d'Or ( [Cool] ) which will be sent to me from a collector from France. According to him, it's in full working condition (version with attachment and motor).

I myself am mainly a projector collector. I have a few films just to test the projectors, but a friend of mine just obtained well over 100 Pathé Baby movies on reels(and he only paid 20 euro's for the whole lot [Eek!] !!!!). Now he's looking to buy a projector to view them all. They are all French titles and all notched.

--------------------
CINEGRAPHICA

Paul Stanley
Junior

- posted June 15, 2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Paul Stanley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erwin. Get a Pathe Gramaphone for the music, a good Lux and you will not go wrong. Make sure the Lux has the steel gate plate and not the light metal which will drop to bits.

--------------------
Lets get Lee back on the Forum action group!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC