8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathe Baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe Baby
Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2009 05:45 PM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am thinking about purchasing a pathe baby.The only problem,the motor and electrics are 220 volts.I see that Paul Adsett re-done his.Can anyone give me some pointers on changing one over?Thanks

Bob

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2009 05:16 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are thinking on getting into 9.5mm I might suggest either looking for a 110v Baby (a number of the old french ones are , as well as the early US pathex ones), but I would invest in one of the voltage converter boxes that will step up to 220, because if you are anything like me eventually the capacity of the Baby (even with the extension arms)is just too short. For silent films the only choice is one of the excellent Specto models which are generally 220v. Because of the interchangeable parts for the dual models i have been able to modify a 16mm split reel and with a small core run a complete 4 super reel feature on one reel without a changeover.
I even do regular public shows highlighting 9.5mm using the Specto, which throws a real nice picture onto a 10foot by 10foot screen, which the baby could never handle because of the low light output.. The babies are great to have and play around with, and look awesome (although the 200B is my favorite looking 9.5)but still remain limited in what they can do picture wise..

-

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 11, 2009 11:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, one thing I would definately recommend on the Baby, is converting the lighting to a 12 volt 20 watt halogen lamp. You can do this using an inexpensive socket and transformer from a low voltage Halogen light - the transformer will fit neatly into the base of the Baby after you have removed the ceramic resistance matt. There are three reasons for going to 12 volt lighting : 1)You will get a brighter picture 2) Replacement 12 volt lamps are dirt cheap and you can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot, whereas the original Pathe bulbs are almost impossible to find 3) The machine will be much safer by not using that voltage dropping resistance matt in the base of the machine, which gets as hot as hell and looks lethal. If you stay with a hand cranked Baby, your projector will then be absolutely safe after converting to 12 volt lighting. If you have a motorized Baby, still convert to 12 volt lightng, but then you still have to worry about the motor. If you have a 220 volt machine, I think I would eliminate the 220 volt motor and replace it with a 115 volt motor, which you may be able to get from Buckingham Films in the UK. The safety of the motor is still a concern however, so ground the machine using a 3 plug connector, with the ground wire screwed into the base of the machine.
I totally agree with Dino about the Specto. They are superb, well engineered, machines, and in a different league from the Baby. The Baby is a fascinating little machine, and a great conversation piece for your living room, but it can only project about a 2 foot wide picture, even after conversion to Halogen lighting. The Baby has no sprockets, so you have to get the brake arm and take up tensioning adjusted jut right for smooth projection. The Specto is built like a 16mm machine, with 2 sprockets and high power lighting.
Dino, that ad for your 9.5mm film show looks really great! Well done!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bob Pucci
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 11, 2009 11:49 AM      Profile for Bob Pucci     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

Thanks for your help.Can you post instructions on how to do the replacement or email them to me?I should be getting the projector on Wedensday or Thursday.

Yours looks really nice and thats is what compelled me to look for one.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC