8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5 reels ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5 reels ?
Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 03:19 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Have just received a small suitcase full of 9.5 films on small reels ranging from 1939 onwards but I have not seen these small reels before and don't know what projector has a spindle that would fit them, I have a couple of 9.5s, a Specto and a Ditmar Duo, but of course they have the standard 9.5 spindles.
Any help would be gratefull, thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 03:27 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you post a photo of the reels (just two or three!).

martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 04:02 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe these are "camera-only"-reels with the films coming back "fresh" from the lab (with the lab simply using the reels that have been provided by the client as he/she send in the exposed films)?

Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 04:52 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have Pathescope written on them, is this for use on something like a Pathescope Baby projector only.  -

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:01 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I suspected, they are the "notched title" pre-printed reels from the early days. The film has notches at each title, which is only one frame, and a mechanism in the projector stops the film for a predetermined number of frames to save on film. (The principle was used later by AGFA on the Super 8 Family range to show single frames; the camera puts a "dot" alongside each frame shot as a still, using a light,and the projector detects it using a photo semiconductor).
I think the Pathe KID could show these films (possibly the BABY?). The central core is a rewind key; the actual reel stays still and the film rotates inside, coming out of the half moon opening.
If the films are in good condition, they could be worth something, depending on titles.

Other collectors will no doubt add to this.

Martin

[ February 23, 2009, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 05:27 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW: Is this really 9.5mm-film? Pathe did have some other "obscure" formats back then like "Pathe Rural" (17.5mm)... and there have been some other formats with centre-perforation as well (11mm, 13mm, ...) that might come on some modified Pathe-reels (or on Pathe-reels specialy made for that format).

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 07:38 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, Jeorg, these are 9.5mm. I remember them clearly from my youth when they were still much in evidence although not current production. By the time I got involved with 9.5 mm reels were standard open reels of 10 m (30 ft)or "super" reels of 60 m (200 ft approx).
Note in the photos the legends "made in england" and "british pats"., and the title labels around the rim.
martin

--------------------

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 08:13 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like there's such a reel mounted on the "Pathescope ACE"-projector:
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95gearpathe.htm

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2009 08:25 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Jeorg. The same site confirms the Baby, Kid and Imp as being the earlier ones that took these "cassettes" (note the little rewind handle on the Baby). I wasn't aware that the ACE took these (the ACE was current in my early days),presumably on the pre-war versions only. In the 40's and 50's it only took standard reels. I didn't own one, I started with a Bing, then Bingoscope and then 200B.

Martin

--------------------

Brian Collins
Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 11:49 AM      Profile for Brian Collins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input gents, learnt a lot more, I know of a 'Baby' but I know that the shutter wheel is broken, no chance of doing anything with it, looking into the idea of turning some new spindles that would fit my Ditmar, save taking them all off the spools they are on now.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC