8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » In Praise of the Ace (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: In Praise of the Ace
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 25, 2009 02:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like many film buffs, my first movie projector was a hand -cranked 9.5mm Pathescope Ace. This little projector brought me so much pleasure, showing Disney and Popeye shorts, as well as many silent feature classics such as Metropolis, The Informer, The Ring and many others. It is easy to dismiss the Ace as a toy projector, but it is really a well designed and manufactured machine, capable of giving steady and really sharp pictures on a 24 inch screen.

-

All this came home to me in the past few days, when I have been modifying the little projector for Halogen lighting. First, the projector is a really solid and rugged little machine, the main body being a die-casting. The internal helical gears are very robust, being machined from brass and stainless steel, and the intermittent cam is a very clever and reliable design. For what it was designed to do, the ACE succeeds admirably. It's success can be measured by the fact that it was in production for over 30 years. The one bad point of the design is that sharp edge on the brake arm, which can severely scratch the film unless you cover it with a plastic tip. You have to wonder why Pathescope never corrected this problem.
The Ace today is still a really fun little projector to run, and is a real change of pace from the GS1200!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 02:43 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul were you in the US when you first got the ACE? This is one of the few pathescope silent ones I do not have (this and the kid)I keep thinking about it, but feel I need to wait until my wife and I get a bigger place someday since most of my collection is in storage anyway.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 25, 2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I agree with you that the Ace is a well designed engineered projector built to last. I would certaintly like one in my collection, particularly with the motor attachment.

But I know how much you dislike those Eumig's with the dual core design like the 926. Isnt this the same sort of thing [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] . Is there a top sprocket in the Ace?

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 25, 2009 04:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino,
I bought my ACE in the UK. It was designed and manufactured by Pathescope in the UK, and was never sold in the USA. There must be thousands of them still lying around in the UK.

Graham,
I never thought of it that way, but you are correct - the Ace may be the original co-axial reel design projector! [Big Grin]
It is of course a totally sprocketless design.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 26, 2009 05:11 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ACE had a mighty impact on me Paul.I earned the ten pounds to buy one when I was 12 but my father said I couldn't have it until I was 16!! [Frown] .Every week I'd go to SLYS LTD(the Pathescope Agents in Auckland)and fondle an ACE on display.On my sixteenth birthday I bought one!And then a motor.I had but one film,a 60fter featuring Spitfires and Hurricanes.I made the old man watch this flick every night!Later in life I bought up most of SLYS 9.5mm film library.........it comes to you eventually eh? [Wink] Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 26, 2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to my story Trev. I was 16 when I got my Ace. My first film was a little 60 footer western titled ' Northwest Justice'.I worked in a garage on weekends, and used the money I earned to rent films from a photo shop in Cardiff. I would pick the films up on a Saturday morning and return them on Monday morning. Over a period of a couple of years I must have rented (and hand-cranked!) most of Pathescope's library, and got to see many memorable films. I would show the films to my parents and grandparents and to kids in the shed in our garden, for a small fee to help offset the rental costs. It was during those days that I would spend hours gazing at the other projectors on display in the window of the photo shops in the Cardiff arcades, projectors like the magnificent Bell and Howell 606H, or the Bolex M8R, which were totally out of reach for me at that time. What I really wanted was a motorized projector, so I swapped my Ace for a 9.5mm Dekko. Big Mistake - even though the Dekko was motorized and looked like a great machine, the picture from the Dekko was nowhere near as good as that from the little Ace.
So, just like you Trev, the Ace had more impact on me than any other projector I have ever owned. Pathescope must have done something right! [Wink]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2014 04:56 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ninefivers,
my Pathescope Ace have adaptation with halogen bulb 20w 12v (had already when I bought it), very very good, but I would try to have more brightness for the projections at greater distances. Is it possible?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 06, 2014 07:21 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, 20 watts is about as high as you can go if you do not want to a) blister the film on stills, and b) melt the plastic condenser lens housing that sits around the lamp.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 05:51 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I figured that the plastic holder (original of Ace, I only changed the bulb) would support a maximum of 20 w. Thanks for the tip!
Maybe there are alternatives, without using the original plastic holder?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 07, 2014 09:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know this machine but maybe there is a better lense available (from another projector) than the original one ? I have a Dekko and my lense is 1.9. I hope to find a better one one day.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2014 06:33 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The objective is original, a very basic, non-interchangeable, probably don't know the precisal exact brightness, but it's very good for distances not excessive and dark environments, in fact the Ace has a small image definition does not really bad! I had this curiosity to see if there were other tools to replace (for test only, preserving the original) the original plastic holder, that it be extracted, but I also fear of ruining a projector in excellent condition!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 07, 2014 07:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ace is intended for screen sizes up to about 24 ins wide. For that task it does a good job. Probably best not to try and modify it for bigger screens with higher power lamps as there is no easy way to provide the necessary forced air cooling.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 07, 2014 10:00 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up on this thread Paul...love the ACE...very cool [Cool] Since these were not sold in the U.S., you are probably one of the few to own one here.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2014 10:02 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, Paul, is also considered cooling. I leave everything as it is, thank you! [Smile]
Janice, the Ace is small and cute as a Pathé Baby! However, it is quite available on ebay and similar, usually don't sell much, you could do a thought for the purchase! [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 08, 2014 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both the Ace and the Baby. In some repects the Ace is superior to the Baby. The film transport through the Ace with 300ft reels seems smoother and less fussy than the Baby with the super attachment, and IMO it is easier to thread. Unfortunately there is no framing adjustment on the Ace, although this is not a show stopper as the Pathescope prints are usually pretty well centered on the sprocket holes. Both projectors are really well made, solid all metal construction and great at what they were intended to do, just dont expect either one of them to go beyond a 30 inch screen width. These projectors come totally within their own, nostalgia wise, when hand cranking early silent prints from the pioneer days of the cinema.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2014 04:34 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, There have been a number of threads in the forum about the ACE including conversion to Halogen lighting. Countless numbers of U.K. enthusiasts started off with one of these. The lighting was very efficient for its time. It did not damage film if used properly despite not having sprockets. It got a bad name with the film libraries because of the carelesness of the owners not the machine itself. Like any machine it has to be used with some practical common sense. The one illustrated appears to be the mark 111 model but does not appear to be complete as it does not show the feed spool or the "brake" arm. The mark 11 was black and had a different base. The original Mk1 used the closed cassettes like the Pathe Baby with a similar "take up" chamber, blanked off on the later models. I have a Mark 11 which I started with which my dad motorised with an ex Government 12 volt motor shortly before the Pathescope one became available. I also acquired a mark 111 with the motor, a few years ago. As mentioned previously, it is not a good idea to fit anything larger than the 20watt halogen bulb when converting. Ken Finch.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2014 07:05 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curiosity: requires g4 halogen lamp 12v, 20w max, OK. But maybe there are different types of this bulb or not? For example white light, hot light, etc.. With one that can go better than the other?

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2014 03:19 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heat produced is what limits the rating of the lamp in the Ace. Some lamps are slightly more efficient and produce more light and less heat but the differences are too small to go to say 30W or 50W.

--------------------
Paul.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 10, 2014 05:17 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't hesitate to check if you cannot improve the surface on which you project. A very white surface (a screen or in cas of a small picture a white sheet oh paper) may make a difference.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 10, 2014 07:30 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True what is says Paul, in fact I have two light types of 20w Halogen 12v lamp, but I can not see the difference, the one that says Dom, in fact, in a very white area that I have in my room looks brightness much better than on a sheet that I use for projecting, because it's not perfectly white!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 10, 2014 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to use a 30 inch wide glass-beaded screen with my ACE.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Long
Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2015 06:35 AM      Profile for Andrew Long   Email Andrew Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have to agree, I think the Ace is a lovely little machine, apart from needing a plastic coating to prevent scratches to the film. I have 3 in my collection, in varying conditions, and recently got them out to have a go at frame by frame conversion using a transfer box and still camera. Took ages to do a few minutes, but loved doing it.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2015 12:56 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Halogen lamp appears to give a brighter picture that the original. If my memory serves me right, I used to use a silver screen with a picture width of about 2ft 6in. when I was a lad. That was of course with the original 20watt tubular bulb. Pathescope type AD I think it was called. Ken Finch.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2015 07:57 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to love going into Birmingham and visiting Galloways camera shop where they had a drawer full of pathescope films. 30ft. 5/-, 60ft 9/6 (or 25p and 45p approx). I remember 'Brumas - Polar maid' as being one of my purchases. Used properly, the Ace didn't damage films. I then progressed to a 9.5/16mm Specto. Happy Days

--------------------
Dave

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 28, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, my very first 9.5mm film purchase was the 60ft Pathescope print title Northwest Justice. I loved that little film and must have cranked it a 100 or more times through my Ace. This was quickly followed by the purchase of several 30ft and 60ft Pathescope titles which I spliced together on the 300ft reels.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC