8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5 mm Black-and-White Stock (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 9.5 mm Black-and-White Stock
Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2010 09:13 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Ninefivers

Chances are I might have built equipment for 9.5 until fall next year, how big is your interest in a relatively slow black-and-white universal film?

I plan panchromatic ISO 32, colourless polyester base, anti-halo undercoat, to be developed to negative and by the reversal process.

Perforator will be sturdy professional machine with suction under the tool. Supply in lenghts up to 400 feet, cheap.

Please be honest, it's finding out whether the market is there or not.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Mc Allister
Junior

- posted November 07, 2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Scott Mc Allister   Email Scott Mc Allister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in 9.5 film stock for my Pathé baby cine camera. How much would it cost for 4 rolls of film?

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2010 04:37 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Scott

I cannot yet think of prices because I need an idea of the interest first. The question is really, how many filmmakers would want to shoot in black and white. You mean four rolls of 9 meters, I presume, that is 36 meters or a good hundred feet.

Anybody else?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 13, 2013 04:32 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about this project to produce 9,5 black and white film stock ?

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 15, 2013 02:16 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's something that's interesting to me. [Smile]

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2013 06:08 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16-mm. film perforator now that needs a thourough overhaul. From studying it I’m learning. Actually, the machine is a greeting from the 19th century. My own construction will be quite different.

The echo isn’t overwhelming plus there’s the news from Ferrania. They might bring out something in nine-five. Plus I’m totally absorbed by building a prototype of a film slitter and other stuff. So my next activity with perforators will not be before mid-August, I’m afraid.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 31, 2013 07:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great project to bring 9,5 black and white film stock on the market. I don't know how many metres you need to sell to make it viable (the black and white stock lasts longer that the color one so it's an advantage for what you intend to do). I guess people wait for more information (especially the price) to give more response. Also, many ninefivers don't kmow this forum (I discovered it recently) and some don't understand English. So you could maybe try to promote your idea among clubs (and even in French if you speak French, because you're from Switzerland). Let us know how it goes further ! Ferrania did not annouce anything in 9,5, yet I think.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2013 08:38 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Ferrania not about 9.5 mm, although you never know...
Your project, Simon, is very interesting, although developed with time.

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2013 01:34 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TO ALL PARTICIPANTS IN ITALY

Amici, quindi il mio italiano non è il migliore, vi prego di preparare un pò la cosa contattando la gente di Ferrania. La domanda sarà semplicemente se hanno l’arredamento per tagliare in nove e mezzo ed un apparecchio perforatore. Ne c’è un interesse mondiale eccetera. Tante grazie

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 08, 2013 02:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is today on the site Japan camera hunter an interview, in English, that confirms the come back of Ferrania on the small format but nothing is decided yet about which gauges and the timing is not known as they are still making searches.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 25, 2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your project progressing ?

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2013 06:12 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit 'of time that I asked to Ferrania if they intend to treat 9.5 mm, but did not respond.
I retrying!

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2013 12:13 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, they told me!
They said that there is the possibility of producing even 9.5 mm, depends on the response of the market!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 05:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about your project, Simon ? The French 9,5 club may be interested in that. I will see some members soon.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 30, 2013 01:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The French 9,5 club asked me to write an article about the possibility of 9,5 black and white stock for the next issue of the magazine. I hope Simon will be able to give more precisions soon. A ninefiver (filmaker, not collector) I met at Argenteuil told me also that he was intersted when I talked about that (as he is not member of the club).

--------------------
Dominique

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted December 29, 2013 11:11 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, dopo una lettera che avevo ricevuta di Ferrania nelli anni 90 le perforatrice erano venduti nelli anni 80 ma evidentemente la nuova iniziativa a reso possibile ricomprarle.

I know that there are no duplicating stocks as 9.5 on the market although many miles of originals and prints in this format should be saved in the best possible way, and that is photographically in contact with practically grainless film. So with Ferrania being capable of producing camera films in virtually every movie film format, I have decided to prepare for extreme fine grain stocks. I’m not in a comfortable situation financially. Time will decide.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2013 01:06 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Simon, who knows what will decide to enter the market Ferrania.
Look forward to future movements, you are right, we will also see how you/we agree to act.
Thank you for the information post!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 16, 2014 11:10 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that Simon did not want to go further with his project. At the moment, there is 9,5 black and white stock available for titling (the white appears black on the screen and the white appears of course black) from Mr Otte in Germany (wolfundinge@t-online.de). A Survey about black and white stock is starting now (I got the magazine that gives the info, today) from a member of the French club. After Kahl announcement of discontinuing its UP 24 double 8 black and white stock, Monsieur Le Rohellec wants to know if there is an enough demand for 9,5 black and white stock to interest a lab. The Survey will end on the 15 th December. The question of the Survey is : how many spool or roll are you ready to use every year (15 or 30 meters spools, or 14 meters or 3 X 8,20 meters rolls). alain.le-rohellec@wanadoo.fr

[ October 16, 2014, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Dominique De Bast ]

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2014 04:27 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just done, I invite everyone to do it! It would be great if someone decides to produce a good 9.5mm b/w! film

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 10, 2015 12:42 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The result of the Survey has been printed in the latest copy of the French 9.5 magazine. Only 8 ninefivers showed interest for black and white fim stock, which is not enough to attract interest from a laboratory. It seems that no answer came from Britain although there are still flmamkers there. The French man who started the Survey is still thinking of finding a black and white source, so, as colour filmstock is no longer available on all lenghts (and as the remaining stock will not last long), there may be other people interested now in a black and white project. As a reminder, the man to contact is : alain.le-rohellec@wanadoo.fr

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 08:30 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in the good old UK a similar question was asked and only two of us said yes, I was one of them.

I feel the problem is these days so may seem so laid back they nearly fall over. I'm certain more would use 9-5 film stock and I have got through around 900ft in just over a year which has been great fun. My mission is to enter HD scans of the completed films into competition to help spread the 9-5 word and hopefully demonstrate how crisp it can look....we hope!

Globally film competition events also have a role to play in accepting images acquired on motion picture 9-5 film and accepted in digital form to present it easily digitally. I've already put this proposal forward to Group 9-5 for the annual competition which I am certain will increase entries and the quality of sound and projection with the greatest respect.
Fingers crossed they see the vision.. [Cool]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 01:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all a fan of digitalization as in my point of vue, the projection of the filmsock is a full part of the cinema experience. Digital projection can be a plus when it is not possible or difficult to do the classical way. There has been a 9.5 festival in Australia in November 2014. Following the article I readed about it, it seems that the French and the British films were all projected from dvds. I understand that it is safer and cheaper to send dvds rather than films so far away. You can regard this as "it cannot be called a 9.5 festival" or "better 9.5 on digital than nothing". I don't know who would be right and who would be wrong. Personnaly, I don't push anyone to digital if it can be avoided. So far, the monthly French projections are 100 % 9.5 films and nobody never suggested (and propbably never thought) change it. That is probably what makes these projections unique. So, only time will tell if digital projections attract more people to 9.5. Back to the blanck and white stock, I suppose people want to know how much it would cost before saying if they would use this kind of stock. For sure, it will not be cheap unless someone find cheap 35 mm black and white stock somewhere. i'm impressed by the amount of film you shooted, Lee [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 14, 2015 05:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Dom as film is the first choice even in projection. Sadly not every competition in our land have means to project 9-5 for judging let alone general projection but I do feel it is a wonderful opportunity to enter 9.5mm sound films as files and flying the 9.5mm flag having filmed using the format. For a few years I was projectionist at a festival and for one would have welcomed the entries today..

We have been lucky in recent years to have locally perforated 100D which has now unfortunately run out and we certainly miss it. The film shortage is a problem particularly as our 9-5 film group has a scripted project waiting to go and we could do with 300ft for over summer but hey ho we must be patient. [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 16, 2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film will most than probably not be available for this summer. The only good side of this is that there is still a demand for 9.5 filmstock.

--------------------
Dominique

Edward Nowill
Junior

- posted November 21, 2015 11:06 AM      Profile for Edward Nowill   Email Edward Nowill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reference 9.5mm black & white film. I have a Pathe 9.5 perforator
[punch & die assembly makes x3 rows of 9.5 perforations on unperforated 35mm film].The machine has no motor,this can be fixed without too many problems.
I would be happy to perforate some of my existing supply of perforated 35mm Kodak 5363 [b/w high contrast positive film] to x2 useable 9.5 rows so long as someone else does the slitting.Light struck 35mm film perforated to 9.5mm can be sent to interested parties for examination.
The price for fresh 5363 perforated to 9.5 would be £37 per 30 meters [100ft].This price is valid for 2015/2016
I currently slit/perforate/reperforate 35mm & 16mm double perforated film to standard 8mm using equipment supplied to me by the late Larry Pearce UK who did much to keep 9.5 running in the 1960s.
I manufacture 8mm film in small quantities to supply mainly UK & USA trade customers as well as a small list of retail customers.
If only 8 people want b/w 9.5mm film this is ok.The construction of a slitter to go with my pathe perforator is a low priority as I need to earn a living from my other activities which pay the bills.I also have very little space in my house which is currently filled with large pieces of industrial film & audio machinery.
Let me know through the moderators if you want short lengths of light struck 35 mm film perforated to 9.5mm.
I can help with the design of slitters having had made several machines [not all successful] for this purpose.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC