8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5 mm Black-and-White Stock (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 9.5 mm Black-and-White Stock
Edward Nowill
Junior

- posted August 29, 2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Edward Nowill   Email Edward Nowill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 8mm slitter works [each set of blades lasts for more than 300 meters-phew!!]but the machine needs further refinement/development to do what I want.
I am now starting to manufacture 8mm cores [not an off the shelf item ].
All this applies to 9.5mm as 1]a drop in slitting 9.5mm module now needs to be made for the slitter & 2]the lathe jig for 8mm core manufacture needs a 9.5mm copy made too if we are to have 300 meter runs of 9.5mm film.
I'm already receiving orders for 8mm colour negative manufactured from cheap 35mm shortends-a possibility for 9.5mm if needed.

|  IP: Logged

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2016 04:31 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Edward, news for the 9.5mm? [Smile]

Edward Nowill
Junior

- posted November 28, 2016 10:39 AM      Profile for Edward Nowill   Email Edward Nowill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reference 9.5mm film delays have occurred as I am dealing with a difficult family situation.One of my UK based customers has bought freshly manufactured 9.5mm b/w film from someone in Germany.I have requested details as there is not enough 9.5mm business to support 2 or more manufacturers.The orders for 600 meters of 9.5mm film I have collected will be passed over to him as he is manufacturing now.Quite why no one knows about him is a mystery to me.
If the German supplier has difficulties fulfilling said orders I would re-enter 9.5mm production.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 28, 2016 10:55 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info, Edward. It seems that some black and white stock may be also available from Spain in limited quantity next year. Did you pass my 5 15 meter loads order ? To whom ? Will this person contact us ?

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for news, Edward!

Edward Nowill
Junior

- posted January 05, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Edward Nowill   Email Edward Nowill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try Mr Wolfundinge [email address spelt phonetically to avoid spam robots]
wolfundinge[at]t[dash]online.de

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2017 09:27 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Otte is a very kind man. We used to work together when I had my lab. It was a piece of honor to develop his 100-footers of 9½.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 17, 2017 02:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As reported in another thread, black and white 9.5 filmstock will be available soon in sufficient quantity for everybody. To second the efforts made to bring the filmstock back, Ciné Club de France's member, Monsieur Dupin made a prototype of a 9.5 developper tank. His tank is made of plumbery material and so is unexpensive to make. It is a propotype so there is a cap to add and of course it has to be tested. This model takes 9 mt of film. If it works, Monsieur Dupin will write a whole technical article in a next issue of the 9.5 French magazine.

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 04, 2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9.5 black and white filmstock is being made available but this takes time. So far, 120 mt of the new 35 mm spool has been reperford to 9.5 (so 360 mt of 9.5 film). US, Australia, France, Spain,Germany, UK and Belgium have, as I know, ordered and received films.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 14, 2017 06:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that the Spanish club received more requests than expected, which is a good new for the gauge but will probably lead to find a way to reperfor film on a larger scale. If you intend to shoot in black and white this year, I would advise you to order filmstock long time before you need it to avoid an out of stock situation. Mister Otte is going on holidays next week so that will alos slow things. 9.5 is often regarded as a dead gauge but Color City sold its remaining colour filmstock much quicker that what they thought and they still receive calls to ask when 9.5 will be available again...

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 20, 2017 06:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New 35 mm stock will be ordered to face the demand. The Spanish laboratory that intends to process black and white films is progressing in adaptating the existing machine and a test will be done in July so good news could come in a foresable future.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 04, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Machines are now installed. Tests are being made to process negative stock. Reversal stock process will be test after that. Things are moving towards the good direction [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2017 12:41 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dom, do you think we'll have the film in 2018? [Smile]
But even the availability of negative film would not be bad, maybe it would be a inedited thing for 9.5mm! Although it would be difficult to have a positive (for Super 8, instead, it's possible)...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 28, 2017 06:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, the film is not the problem at the moment. We already have black and white filmstock. It's just out of stockat the moment for the reason I gave : the manufacturer keeps unperfored film only on request so we have to wait for the 2018 production. The problem is to have a lab that will process it professionally.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2017 05:59 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Dom, clearly.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 04, 2018 05:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some news about the lab. There are two different machines used : one to process negative stock and the other for reversal. The "reversal machine" is yet not adapted for 9.5 but the negative one is. So it means that the Spanish lab can now process 9.5 black and white negative film (the Orwo film can be process as negative or as reversal). I know it is of little use but can be needed for titles. It you print a title with black text on a white paper, you willl have a white text on a black ground on the screen if you process the stock as negative. If you have enough films with titles missing, this service could be interesting. But the real good news is that things are moving on for reversal (black and white) stock. The lab will try this month to use the "negative machine" to process 9.5 film as reversal. If it works, things should go fast since no modifications would be needed. If this machine cannot be used, the other one will need some adaptation but nothing that cannot be done without too complications.The cost of the process is the same (at the moment anyway) than 16 mm and is not cheap but keep in mind that the filmstock is unexpensive (13 euros for a 30 mt/100 ft spool). The lab's website is in Spanish but they answer in English when you send them an e-mail. http://retrolab.eu/Revelado_super8_servicios.html

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2018 07:57 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great news, Dom. In Super 8 and 16mm it happened to me to shot negative for titles (not to waste a total black print with white words.) I've even used the negative also for effects, for example, on very poor animated drawings, it can be a nice "blackboard" effect.

Then, oh well, for Super 8 and 16mm I also used the remaining and edited shot for the positive copy, but I think there is no one in the world to print positive in 9.5mm.

We hope that the machine will work well for reversal or that the adaptation of the other machine is fast, I will immediately take stock!

P.S. I would also buy 30 meters reels, which I would then cut in the dark in 9 meters pieces for the cartridges in my camera.
I hope there are no problems the for developing 3x9m film. If it happens to you, can you ask for this info at the lab? Thank you! [Smile]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC