8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Nine Five Filming

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nine Five Filming
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 31, 2012 04:18 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of an update to my project!
Filming complete and I'll look forward to seeing the results.

Anyone else filming 9-5 at the present?

[ November 02, 2012, 04:25 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2012 03:41 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee,

I enjoyed reading your writeup.

Not filming at present but will be making another 9.5 film next spring. Just hoping 100D will still be available as its my preferred film. The Lido is a real beauty of a camera.

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 19, 2012 07:14 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham.
Stock is available but apparently so many are filming with 9-5 Photoworld are mowed out with processing the film. I was told by Roy we are looking at about 6 weeks turnaround at present which is not an issue for me and certainly good news that people are filming with colour stock. I’m just grateful someone in the UK is doing such a valuable service.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2012 06:06 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its good that processing is still available in the UK.

I was pretty lucky getting some film processed quickly last August as I know some others around that time had to wait a little longer, but its a good sign for the future of 9.5 filming [Smile] .

Graham S

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 15, 2013 04:19 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got my latest 9-5 filming back from processing and the image quality is superb, even more amazing not a shot out of focus! I did some artificial light filtered filming as well and that also looked good although very hot when filming due to so much light needed.

Peter James Diggle
Junior

- posted February 16, 2013 02:35 AM      Profile for Peter James Diggle   Email Peter James Diggle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Photoworld 100D is such a good service. I've received some chargers in order to start the season. I wish it were possible also to have B&W and Edward Nowill is looking into the chance of making 10 ASA Ortho in 9.5, useful at least for titles and easily processed in a red light with tank or frame. Is there any interest in same ?

--------------------
PJDiggle

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 16, 2013 05:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was really impressed with the colour saturation on this latest night time filming and it picked up the illuminations so well. Yes some B&W would be good news particularly if you are doing some nostalgia filming perhaps where you want the scene to look old. Filmed a wartime weekend a few years ago on B&W and it looked great.

Doing another film as well including some 50's colour shots then filming some fresh scenes to show haw a place has changed.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 04:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my latest film back from Photoworld with the fastest processing turnaround I have ever had over my film making years. Posted Monday back Friday and ready to edit!
Well done Roy for some excellent work and the shots came out fine as well.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 04:54 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot with Color City's films (I got a film back from process last Friday). I suppose it is the same filmstock (Velvia 100 asa). The post costs for abroad (out of France) are automatically calculated and very high. The lab is trying to correct the website but it seems that it takes a long time to do that. You can get a cheaper post and packing rate if you send them an e-mail. I wonder hom much the film costs in UK. I would also be interested in black and white stock.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 05:12 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
50ft of 9.5mm colour film including processing and return posting within the UK is £15.95. You can also get chargers for under £10.

I heard that Cine Dia are stopping 9-5 film stock and have sent a number of emails asking if they have stock but all have bounced back. Anyone got any news on this?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 05:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Lee, Color City has not stopped 9,5 and I don't think they are considering it. They recently changed their e-mails and phones numbers as they had problems with them. The prices you mentionned seem very competitives in comparaison with Color City's ones. Some pages are in English. http://colorcity.fr/ Is there a site for the British filmstock ?

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 05:32 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique good to know all is still OK as we are fairly active film makers over here. The Photoworld stock is 100D so not quite a nice as Velvia but good enough most certainly and have used much of it with fine results. We have a number of films in the making at the moment although magnetic film striping is a problem. I may yet convert a striper to 9-5 for magnetic striping as its a service very lacking for film makers.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2013 10:15 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting news. I talked recently (in September at the Argenteuil convention) with a ninefiver from South France who has a stripping machine and strips his own films. I would like to try the British filmstock. Is there a website from which it is possible to order it ?

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2013 07:33 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to try that film, my Camex GS paws! [Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 01:49 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I understand 9,5 stock is no longer available in the UK, I guess some British ninefivers bought filmstock in France as the remaining stock has shrunk quicker than what was expected. It seems that no manufacturer is longer providing unperfored reversal 35 mm at 50 or 100 asa in long lenght. Ferrania is still working on a project but nothing is done, yet. 9,5 filmstock is still available and it is hoped to have enough stock until 2015. The good new is that there is a lack of filmstock manufacturers and not 9,5 users. I tried black and white stock but it has not been completely sucessfull, yet. I ordered 16 mm stock I had eperfored in Germany. That went fine. The film ran perfectly in the camera but due to misunderstandug, it appeared that this kind of stock cannot be processed by the person who reperfored the film. So I found a lab that can process it but only if it is a maximum of 15 meters (of course, the spool I shooted was 30 meters). So I am still waiting for my film to come back from Germany (where I sent it before knowing that it could not be processed). So far, I have no idea of the result and I will not have anything before September as I will go on holiday after a few days until the end of August but I wished to share this attempt to show it is still possible to shoot in 9,5. And I will take my camera with me with 9,5 colour rolls (again, they are still available).

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2014 05:20 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Us... ninefivers, we are more than I imagined, it would be a shame to give up our all equipment (and our passion!) for the lack of film!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted June 30, 2014 05:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that there was a Spanish club but I learned recently that 9,5 is also used in Portugal (I don't know to which extend but it was nice to hear that).

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted July 01, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't forget to enter your 9.5mm home movies in the Group 9-5 Annual Film Competition! Films will be screened Sunday 19th Oct 2014 at Harpenden Halls, Herts.
Further details Open Film Award, 24 Sandpiper Close, Bridgewater, Somerset. TA65QT Enclose a SAE for reply.
[Smile]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 18, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Color city is almost out of 9.5 filmstock. The last remaining 30 meters spools are sold on a limited base to please as many filmakers as possible. The situation is a little bit better for 14 meters cartridges reloads (probably because this lenght is, for a reason I don't know, not advertised on the website) and 3x8.20 meters reload (probably because the site automatically charges a big amount of postage cost for this lenght ; always order by e-mail or by phone to get a better post and packing rate for your country ; the new website may have corrected that but as I went directly to Color City I didn't check). The company is hardly trying to be able to provide 9.5 filmstock (the market is still there for it!). The big hope is of course that Ferrania will be able to manufacture 35 mm unperfored stock on large lenght (like 300 meters). So far, there has been few answers from the Italian company (very busy at the moment, especially with the annouced two months delay in the first batch production and overwhelmed by e-mails), so wait and see (and keep your fingers crossed).

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC