8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » What to get?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What to get?
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 31, 2013 07:36 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I might have asked this before, not sure. Hope it's okay to ask again, if I did.

I am wondering about 9.5mm projectors ... Are they with sound at all or all silent? What type would you recommend? I need it to be 220V and fully working. Anyone have tips or even one for sale, please let me know. Also want a couple of films to go with it. Needs to have a take up reel also. How is the reel sizes on 9.5mm?

Thank you and Happy New Year

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2013 11:50 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are serious then you might want to look for one of the Buckingham Elf conversions for 9.5 sound. They are 220v 50Hz modified 16mm projectors that will put out the brightest light and best sound. These will take up to 2000ft reels just like with 16mm...If only there was an easy way to convert 50Hz to 60Hz I could use one of these as well [Frown]

For silent films with running titles you could either use the Buckingham or get yourself a Specto which will be easier on the shrunken films. The Specto will handle up to 900ft reels

For silent notched films you will want either a LUX (make sure you get a YC or YD model and NOT a YA) or the Coq D'or since they each take 50w bulbs - each will take 300ft reels.

and then of course once you get a few 9.5 projectors you'll eventually want a Pathe Baby, just because...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 05:41 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these sound? I guess the ones for notched maybe isn't?

What price ranges are we talking on those? Seen some on eBay for 80 to 100 GBP and hope to find something in that range

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 01, 2014 09:21 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vidar, You will not be able to obtain a 9.5mm sound projector anywhere near the price range you are quoting. The Buckingham ElF/Eiki conversions are mainly Optical sound although a few of the Opt/Magnetic models were also converted but are extremely rare. The lowest price I have ever seen of the Optical Sound version is around £450. There have been no dedicated 9.5mm sound film projectors made for decades. A similar situation exists regarding 9.5mm sound prints. Pathescope in the U.K. went out of business in 1959. although the French film companies continued issueing films for a few more years. Nearly all the Pathescope releases were shorter (edited) than the original 35mm film in order to keep prices down for the purchaser, but even then in reality they were mainly bought by the u.k. film libraries. In the latter years only a few prints of the feature films were produced so today those that do become available fetch quite high prices because they are so rare. Ironically, in the past few years many of the titles are available on DVD!
With regard to projectors as well as the Eiki conversion, An updated Pathe VOX or again updated PAX/ Joinville sound projectors are the best proposition but again, these are quite expensive even if still as built and still in running order. The one you had best avoid at all costs is the Pathescope SON. There were other makes including multi gauge machines made in France e.g. Heurtier, Hortson, Bolex and of course sound conversions of silent machines. Incidentally, none were self threading except for some of the ELF/Eiki conversions. You sometimes come acroos the odd sound projector that has been converted from other 16mm makes by an enthusiast with the appropriate technical knowledge and skills. Best of luck in your search, Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 11:50 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vivar, most of 9,5 projectors are silent but you have several sound models. You can find 9,5 optical sound films (in English and in French) and some magnetic sound films made by amateurs or "recently" by some (wonderful) British enthousiasts I have for example in 9,5 the Titanic trailer (in scope), it's magnetic sound.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar
Without wishing to 'bang my own drum' Have a look at the Specto I have for sale. A silent machine but a very respected make, kind to film and in excellent working order.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted January 03, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I find it? Only one Specto on eBay now?

Thanks, I might do a silent and see if I pick up a 16mm/9.5mm if I can one later on

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2014 11:47 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vidar
Here is the link to Terry's Specto on ebay
Specto 9.5mm Projector Full working order

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC