8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Rewinding on Pathescope Ace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rewinding on Pathescope Ace
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 04:47 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
Is there a way to rewind the film on the Pathescope Ace?

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you have the little rewind handle which keys into the hole of the supply reel. Film is fed from the take up reel back down around the front bottom roller, over the brake arm roller, under the back top roller, and back onto the supply reel. The gate is totally by-passed. The lens is usually moved forward in its mount to avoid scraping the film.

-

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 10:32 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very first models which used the enclosed 30ft and 60ft metal cassettes had a separate rewind handle which was always getting lost. No doubt the same applies to the later models with the 300ft Super facility!

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 11:14 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures, Paul !

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 12:05 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton. You have taken me back to age 14 when I had saved enough of my paper round earnings to buy my ACE, still have the mark 2 black model with the 20 watt lamp. I am surprised at the minute size of your image. I manage a very watchable picture about 2ft 6in wide in the room of our house. How I recall cranking the 300ft reels through. It did give a bit of a wrist ache after running a multi reeler. My Dad motorised mine as I could not afford the Pathescope model. I never used the rewind handle and do not recommend doing this. I always use a seperate rewinder like the big boys do in the cinemas! More recently, I acquired the later bronze model with the curved back and this is motorised. I have also done a lamp conversion using a 12v 20watt halagon bulb.as the original lamps are now very rare. Ken Finch. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 09, 2014 12:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a very similar experience as Ken. No doubt about it, the little ACE must have turned thousands of kids into film collectors!
I also remember that I used a 30 ins glass beaded screen with my Ace, and got a pretty decent picture.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 03:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/cinedux/media/DSC08929_zps7b8e4511.jpg.html
Saw a couple of these on TradeMe Clinton.

--------------------
Trevor

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2014 11:34 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies, I only tried the screening once and it was a small picture, I will experiment with a darkened room and obviously slowly move the projector back from the screen and see how far I can get it,will let you know how I go [Smile]
Those rewinders look cool and I will have to try and get them - no doubt that won't be easy! Or get creative and comeup with an alternative! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 10:30 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton, There used to be a number of makes of Rewinders available in the U.K. Quite a few were multi gauge or 9.5/16mm. They had adapters to allow the spools to fit. I made my own at school at Metalwork classes at first. Then saw in A.C.W. a design
using a Wooworths hand bench grinding wheel geared mechanism and made that. Finally I purchased a pair of "Thomas" rewinders which are 9.5/19mm and are mounted either side of mu Haynor 9.5mm viewer and film cleaning pads. They take up to 1000ft spools. Some people I know have made their own using spare projector spool arms. Best wishes Ken. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC