8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Magnetic Sound On 9.5mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnetic Sound On 9.5mm?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that a Buckingham 9.5 was recently sold on eBay for £1078. It was described as optical and magnetic sound.
Were 9.5mm films distributed as magnetic prints?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Buckingham-9-5-NT-9-5mm-Optical-and-Magnetic-Sound-projector-RARE-/290975312345?nma=true&si=nxt%252BWZtahIwMJEr2DjiTmJDl1xk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trk sid=p2047675.l2557

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 10:49 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, The short answer to your question is "No". However, Pathe introduced a Magnetic sound stripe projector based on the PAX/Joinville design in 1953 which had recording and playback facilities for film makers, which coninued into the PM series of the 1960s. The stripe is on the opposite edge to that on the ELF machines, which was done by the first conversions made by the French 9.5mm Club and has remained ever since. We therefor have 2 systems! What could have happened in hindsight would have been to stripe on bothh edges and provide stereo sound! The only magnetic sound print I have ever heard of is the one produced by Grahame Newnhame, which is a sound trailer. There were never any other magnetic sound films released by Pathescope except for a couple of documentaries which were issued striped so that you could record your own sound track! Best wishes Ken Finch. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 16, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to Ken for the explanation. In view of this it seems pointless that Buckingham used an NT2 for conversion.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 17, 2014 02:40 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were some magnetic sound prints produced but not by Pathescope. Most of the ones I have come across have been musical variety reels, sponsored films and a few trailers. LGP listed a few from time to time which were usually purchased very quickly. The one’s I got were pretty fine prints with good magnetic sound striping, matching tracks and project fine with my favourite being a colour film about African railways.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC