8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Help on motor-driven Pathescope Ace

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help on motor-driven Pathescope Ace
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 02:59 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all in the forum [Smile]

I got my Pathescope Ace running last night - it is a motor-driven one.The film ran as it should but three things are happening -
1. I can see the top sprockrt hole on the screen
2. The lamp is not very good as it is brighter in the centre of the picture and turning the lamp doesn't help....and....
3. The picture is not sharp no matter how close I move the projector to the screen? To see anything watchable and still not focused properly I got a picture about 5 inches across.

From what i have read in the forum this is a very poor result?

Any thoughts or what is your Ace projecting like?

I love the 9.5mm guage but it really is a mission (compared to 8mm or 16mm) , so far only my Specto is the only fully working projector with perfect results!

Help please guys....... [Smile]

Clinton in New Zealand

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 13, 2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton,
I get a very sharp picture with my Pathescope Ace, usually sharper than super 8, depending on the print. If your Ace is not sharp, it must be a problem with the projection lens. Does it need cleaning? Also clean the internal reflector and condenser lens.
I have converted my Ace to halogen lighting which gives a much whiter and brighter picture than the old pathescope bulbs, which are just about impossible to find anyway. So I can get good results up to about a 2ft wide matt white screen. Its an easy job to do.
The Ace does not have framing adjustment, as the earlier Pathe Baby has, so unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the edge of the sprocket hole appearing on the screen - that is a function of the framing accuracy of the film print itself.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2014 08:41 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the answer and the ideas, I will try all that and more.......

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 10:59 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton, Me again!! try fixing a small strip of thin metal across the inside of the aperture of the front casting. Remebet to fix it to the opposite edge to that shown on your screen. Unless the lens is dirty or damaged you may be too close to the screen to be able to focus. Why not try the lens of the other machine? You no doubt remember I mentioned about modernising the lamp in a previous post. Ken Finch. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC