8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Just bought a large 9.5mm collection (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Just bought a large 9.5mm collection
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 02, 2014 12:09 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a collection of 9.5mm films off Ebay...condition unknown. They all appear to be 60ft reels and I counted about 70 reels in the photos. It also included a projector that appeared to be in sorry shape...but it does have a motor, so I'll be interested to see if the motor is working.

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 02, 2014 10:20 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably could have saved you some money as I bid that auction up since there was 2 reels I needed from The Crab in there.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 03, 2014 12:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Oh well...at least I was bidding against someone I knew [Smile] I guess we should have collaborated on a bidding plan. After I get the films...maybe we can work something out with those films you want Dino [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2014 12:22 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure thing as I have motors, and parts should the projector be missing something or if the motor has seized.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 12:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know those little cassettes are part of the charm of early 9.5mm, but if I were Janice I would splice them all together on reels.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 03, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Baby only runs 30 & 60ft reels. I have a short attention span anyway Paul...so these little films are perfect and my arm can only turn the crank for so long [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 03, 2014 07:30 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all makes perfect sense Janice, and there is indeed great enjoyment to be had from these little films on cassettes. particulary those with notched titles and/or still scenes, which can run much longer than those without them.
I would encourage you to later on look out for a set of 300ft spool arms, and a motor for your Baby, which opens up presentation of much longer 9.5mm films. Seeing a motorized Pathe Baby projecting a notched film is pretty awesome to behold.
Happy Cranking! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 06, 2014 01:39 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will keep my eyes out for the extended reel arms Paul. I don't think they will be easy to find though. Then again there's something about the simplicity of the hand-cranked Baby that is so endearing to me ...even though at times I get a cramp in my arm [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2014 03:26 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you decide to go for a motorized Baby Janice, it would be best bought as a complete projector and motor set on baseboard to avoid hassle recreating the belt drive. These are not too difficult to find in the UK.

--------------------
Paul.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 06, 2014 04:29 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The extended reels arms cannot be set on the early models (I mean without modification, which would be a shame on old machines like these).

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2014 04:45 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got a few 9.5mm films in there cartridges and one wasn't named so that was a bit of a "lucky dip" and I actually looked forward to seeing what was on it.

I did a hand-cranked viewing on a Pathe Ace and even thou it was only a 60t reel it was hardwork [Smile] It was a novel experience but I will stick to using the motorised Spectro! [Smile]

Also I unwind the cartridge films I occassionally get and put them on a normal 9.5mm reel for easier viewing but I did discover that some of those films didn't join using cement, hence I used tape in those cases [Smile]

I was very lucky to win an auction on Trademe in New Zealand of 4x400ft and 1x200ft films for only NZ$25 (that's about 13GBP or 20US$) - that was a bargain and usually there are a couple of other bidders who win as they keep outbidding until they own them! Looks like they were on holiday so lucky me!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

Great collecting this 9.5mm film guage - older type film material available etc.

And that is my "2 cents" worth on this great format [Smile] [Big Grin]

Keep up the forum chatting everyone,
Clinton in New Zealand [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 07, 2014 07:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Clinton...this is a fun format and I also feel very lucky to have won this auction. My luck with Ebay auctions is usually not good. I should be getting these reels on Monday. It will take me a while to screen all of them.

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 07, 2014 07:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck with those reels Janice. If you find something interesting I hope you will post it on YouTube.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 08, 2014 12:58 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sure you will have fun, Janice.

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 12, 2014 07:19 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received all the films...counted 112 reels. I haven't screened any yet. The metal reels are extremely dirty...so I'm cleaning them before handling them too much and organizing them in 2 boxes. Most have labels with numbers, but several have no labels. I think some are home movies.

The projector is in very poor shape. I'm removing the motor to see if it still works. Even if it does work...I don't think I will use it.

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 12, 2014 10:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, please,please, be very careful with that motor! Baby motors often have crumled insulation on the internal wires and you could get a lethal shock. We all love you here, and we don't want to lose you! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 13, 2014 08:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, about safety, be aware that early projectors heats a lot from the base, it is the reason why Pathé Baby made special "carpets" (to avoid burnings of pieces of furniture).

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 13, 2014 01:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the warnings. I really appreciate your concern guys and I feel the love [Smile] Other than for parts I won't be doing anything with the projector or the motor...I especially won't be plugging anything in. The projector would take a major effort for me to restore. The shutter is broken and I'm not going through installing another one again...been there...done that. [Smile] I'm very happy with my first Baby. I'm going to put my efforts into viewing the films and transfering some to video.

-

--------------------
Janice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2014 05:38 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful collection, Janice 112 reels!
Too bad, I do not possess a Baby, I first have to unroll the film of that type.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 19, 2014 10:08 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE: I'm still going through all the cassettes. I waited a bit until I converted my Baby to a halogen bulb, which is working out very nicely. Most of the films are still in good condition despite being very dirty. A few have missing frames on the head and some of the metal on the cassettes bent. Many I've been able to fix and others I'll have to find replacement cassettes. Now that it's getting dark earlier, I'll have more time to screen these reels.

Unfortunately there are a lot of missing cassettes on multi-part films. I'll have reel 1, but not reel 2 and visa versa. However I do have all 5 reels of "The Crab" which is wonderful.

I ended up selling the motor to Ron Ashton in the UK. I had no plans to use the motor and he needed one. This was my first international transaction [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 12:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You must have great wrists Janice! [Smile]
Glad to hear you are enjoying your Baby projector and films.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 02:04 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it Jan. Nothing like delving into something new.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted September 20, 2014 02:24 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul ... my wrists aren't that strong...so I pace myself [Smile] There is just something very organic in turning the handle and seeing the film transform into motion with every turn. This is the way they did it in the 1920's. Kind of makes me feel like a time-traveler... more attached to the movie. Granted it would be a lot easier with a motor...but just not the same experience.

Igor [Smile] I've had this projector for over a year now. I've gone through lots of repair and upgrade projects to restore it... so working with this format doesn't seem so new now. However, I am still in awe over it.

[ September 20, 2014, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 02:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice,
I cannot tell you how much I admire the way you have embraced the 9.5mm format. Purchasing an old Pathe Baby, changing out the shutter, and then the lamp, digitizing old 9.5mm cassettes from the 1920's and posting them on YouTube. These are all things that require a great deal of knowledge, skill, time and effort. It seems to me Janice that you will have a go at anything, that no technical challenge is too daunting, so you are truly to be admired for your dedication to to the film hobby.
Then we see your backyard film shows, and Halloween movies back projected on the front windows of your house (doing it again next month?).
All of which makes me wish you lived on my street! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 20, 2014 05:06 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do admire you as much as Paul does ! You're one of the most valuable members of this forum (I was going to write club) !

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC