8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » New Baby Project

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Baby Project
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 22, 2014 02:34 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to embark on a new engineering project for the Pathe Baby, but before I do I would like to know if anyone has already gone through this exercise before and already has the hardware solution.
The goal of the project is to retrofit a modern LOW VOLTAGE motor inside the housing of the existing Pathe Baby motor, the purpose being to get the Baby up to fully modern safety standards, while totally preserving the external appearance of the machine. Right now, the 115 volt Baby motors are 90 years old and the insulation must be disintegrating. Consequently, running a Baby with a motor is a real safety risk. Motors have come a long way in 90 years, and modern motors are vastly more compact and powerful and I am convinced that a 12volt motor can be be found to do the job much better than the existing Pathe motor, and enabling the whole machine to be operated at 12 volts with no high voltage anywhere, except the mains lead coming to a transformer mounted in the base. Many people have already converted Baby's to 12v halogen lighting. The next step is to tackle the motor.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 22, 2014 06:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very interested in what you come up with Paul [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2014 04:13 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a very interesting project. I have always been concerned about the risks of electrocutions or motor or bulb explosions, though I have never had any problem so far.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 24, 2014 01:17 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul. Yup all things are possible with 9-5. Many have used a DC motor and speed board from the Norisound 8mm projector which makes for a nice tidy job. A friend has that very set up in a Pathe Pax sound projector which works well so you will have no trouble driving a Baby machine. The lighting is easy to upgrade with a QI lamp into a holder.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 24, 2014 04:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, what is a QI lamp? Do you have a picture of one and the holder? Is it LED or Halogen? What wattage?

--------------------
Janice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted March 25, 2014 03:21 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years the lamp modification on 9-5 machines got to be known as a QI conversion Janice. The A1/215 is a good choice for these if not showing notched films, then you can switch the lamp to a much lower power type for notched films, max 20 watt I would say to avoid buring frames.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 25, 2014 02:23 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see Lee. I haven't been around long enough to have picked up on the jargon [Smile] Anyway...I'm pretty much wanting to go with LED. I just haven't had the time to work on it. I found a couple original bulbs that should keep me going until I work on the conversion.

It will be interesting to see what Paul does with his motor project.

--------------------
Janice

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2014 03:21 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Usually what I do with the old machines that I know I will run on a regular basis is simply get the motor rewound, so you know that everything is up n running safely but you haven't really changed the integrity of the original too much, just made it safe

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC