8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » My even older family

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My even older family
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2014 05:47 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though these are 35mm, it seems like the right place to put them, as a sequel to my post about 28mm projectors. So here are my three very early 35mm hand cranked projectors - a 1911 Pathe Anglais, a 1916 Powers Cameragraph, and a 1912 Gaumont Chrono.

All three would have seen service in silent era cinemas. Though as the Chrono was a favourite with travelling showmen, it may possibly have started life with the bioscope shows on the travelling fairs, which died out with WW1.

The Gaumont and Pathe are pretty much ready for use - I also have spool boxes for the Pathe. Sadly I don't have spool arms for the Powers. Martyn Stevens has made me a replacement front shutter which will fit the Pathe and the Gaumont.

The best thing is that my wife is happy for the Powers and the Pathe to be on display in the hall and the front room. A top result!

-

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2014 01:10 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely collection Chris. What a very understanding wife you have! Sadly all things cine related (and myself sometimes) are relegated to the shed, albeit it a large and comfortable shed. But I'm very happy to spend many hours there indulging in my passion. I don't have anything like the ones you display but I do have a tin plate hand cranked 35mm and a gorgeous Simplex SP. I would love to get my hands on a Butcher 35 hand cranked,one of which was on display at the Curzon collection.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2014 05:09 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, yes, I am indeed lucky my wife doesn't mind these things - in moderation! Plus, we don't have a shed... I would love one of those Butchers too. I used to have a similar one (not as nice as the Curzon one) and foolishly sold it to a friend. Not the sort of thing that turns up often sadly.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 08, 2014 04:32 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry - talk about luck. I'm working from home this week, so snuck out to a local antiques fair. And what did I find but a Houghton Butcher 35mm hand cranked projector, not unlike the one at the Curzon that you mentioned. I assumed it would be out of my price range, but to my staggerment, I got it for £40! As to where it's going to end up, somehow I don't think it'll be the kitchen table...

-

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2014 02:07 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris
What a find! You are indeed very lucky and I'm now very envious.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC