8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Reperfored sound films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reperfored sound films
Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 07, 2014 11:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some 9,5 (optical) sound films reperfored from 16 mm. As the ninefivers know, the image is reverse (Mirror effect). Does that mean that if you have a 16 mm (sound) print that is reverse (also Mirror effect of course) and you reperfor it to 9,5 mm, you will have a proper 9,5 sound film ? Or is that too simple ?

--------------------
Dominique

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2014 07:44 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique. If the image is reversed when screened of a 16mm sound machine it should be the right way round if reperforated to 9.5mm but may not show the whole width of the frame on projection.
When Larry Pearce re perforated 16mm sound prints, both edges of the films were slit to try to obtain as much of the image width as possible, Much depends on the type of optical sound track used as part of the width of this could sometimes be slit away without affecting the sound reproduction. Ken Finch.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 19, 2014 11:30 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your answer, Ken ! It sadly appeared that my 16 mm print is infected by the vinagar syndrom (I discussed this on another thread), so I will see how it évoluâtes as it seems that when it is early discovered it is in some case possible to "stop" or to slow to a big extend the VS.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC