8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Colour 9.5mm films rare?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Colour 9.5mm films rare?
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2014 11:14 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I recently bought of Trademe here in New Zealand a German Projector ALEF I think it is called...and alot of 9.5mm films.I haven't screened the films yet but 2 of them are in colour, once I have screened them I will know what they are about.
Am I right in thinking that 9.5mm colour films are not readily available?
Cheers,
Clinton in New Zealand [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2014 12:00 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were Pathé colour films in cartridges and, later, amateur camera colour films. They are much less common than black and white films but you see them on EBay or in conventions.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 02:29 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a colour film in 9.5 and the nice thing about them is that the colour doesn't seem to fade and of course the definition is better than 8mm.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 14, 2014 11:27 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these the very rare color films that were hand tinted using the Pathe stencil process?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 03:12 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Clinton, The only colour printed films ever issued by Pathe/ Pathescope were indeed a small number of the 30ft notched titles in the closed cassettes. They were coloured using the Pathe stencil process. Some of the Pathescope releases did have tinted sequences and I do remember seeing one of the "railway" dramas where the signal light was coloured red! However, there were one or two other companies e.g. Walton, who issued a few 9.5mm prints usually 100ft documentaries, in the 1950s. With regard to coloured camera film stock on 9.5mm. Before the war we had Dufaycolour, Then post war Kodachrome 1 and 11, Pathescope colour (Ferrania), Eastmancolor, Gevacolour, Agfa (Orwo)and maybe a few others I have forgotten about. You may also come across colour prints which were cut and reperforated from 16mm. Here endeth todays lesson!!Ken Finch [Wink]

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 14, 2014 04:22 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, they are rare but not very rare. At Argenteuil (last month), in a box full of 9,5 cartridges, there was one colour film. it was sold at the same price than black and white films (about 4 euros if I remember right).

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2014 06:59 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And and informative lesson at that Ken

These must be home movies as they are about 300ft each.Will view them soon and then I will know what the subject is and the colour and definition [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2014 03:05 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still available October 2014

"9.5mm STENCIL COLOUR FILMS"

Professionally produced by a French 9.5mm
movie enthusiast, this DVD now includes
all twenty of these rare and interesting
Pathé-Baby 1923 coloured 30ft 9.5mm
printed films with suitable background music.
(French titles - plays in all regions)

Only £7.95 plus 95p UK postage
send cheque/PO payable 'G.L. Newnham' to

Grahame L. Newnham, 22 Warren Place,
Calmore, Southampton, SO40 2SD, UK
www.pathefilm.uk

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2014 05:34 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I screened the 2 colour 9.5mm films over the weekend,Home movies as suspected and filmed in 1955 on holiday in Italy and Greece plus the usual home movies of family playing and flower gardens.
Great colour which to me hasn't faded at all.
A great find for me to have colour 9.5mm films in my collection [Smile]

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 29, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the 50s Pathescope issued Kodachrome in 9.5mm 30 feet chargers for their motocameras.
Walton Films in the UK issued printed 9.5mm Kodachrome films cut and perforated from 16mm originals.

--------------------
Maurice

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 03:45 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton The collection of colour home movies from decades ago I have still have gorgeous colour. These are on various film stocks that were available at the time and make interesting viewing. I treasure the old colour 9-5 films as they not only capture life decades ago but in colour. [Cool]

The Walton so called 9.5mm releases were not really genuine 9-5 format films being slit and re-perforated from 16mm prints but being printed on Kodachrome the colour is very firm and do have a few of these as well.

Off topic a bit but you will also come across 9-5 sound films which were printed in later years from other Pathescope prints. These are easy to spot when looking at the sprocket holes as you can see a ghost sprocket around the punched one. Quality is typically poor.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 31, 2014 07:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, do you mean optical films not issued by Pathescope and not in the catalogues ?

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted November 04, 2014 01:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were duplicate prints of Pathescope releases Dom, as I say you can quite easily spot them as the sprocket holes show a shadow. I believe Parade of the wooden soldiers was possibly the most duped being a very popular 9-5 sound film.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2014 08:08 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Novascope reprinted a few of the old Pathescope releases.Ken Finch.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2014 04:39 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have now viewed all the 9.5mm travel home movies - 6 in total and they are filmed in the 1940s/50s with most in B&W with sections in colour usually showing gardens and scenery that benefits with colour filming.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC