8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Lights Out...and the "Stars" appear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lights Out...and the "Stars" appear
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 04:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just been projecting a Super 8 print of "Lights Out...and the Stars appear". The box is a bit poor as the words "Michael Bentine" are in very large print giving the impression that he is in the film. However, all he contributed was the commentary. Michael was great fun but pretty poor as a commentator.

The film is the story of 9.5mm and was filmed by John Burgoyne-Johnson in 1972. We see and hear Patrick Moules (Flickers & Novascope), Gerald McKee and Ivan Watson (Amateur Cine World.)

Most 9.5mm equipment is shown but few models are actually named. There's a quick glimpse of Pathe's 17.5mm projector working. Film fairs are shown and it's a pity that names were not used to identify faces.

A DVD of the film (including many extras) is available from Grahame Newnham.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 04:45 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this super 8 print as well !

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2015 05:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said that Pathescope only made money by selling the short prints of Mickey Mouse to young collectors.

Walt Disney refused the issue of 9.5mm sound prints so Pathescope approached Max Fleischer which explains the large collection of Popeye and Betty Boop on 9.5mm.

Whilst the film shows a quick glimpse of Felix the Cat, it's a great pity that it did not include any Popeyes or Bettys.

My Eiki 9.5 conversion has just been returned after exhaustive work by my engineer and for testing I lent him "Betty Boop and Grampy". I never fail to laugh when Grampy's kitchen equipment accompany him with his rendering of "Tiger Rag".

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 07:35 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Bentine was a film buff/collector in his own right and presented a series called "The Golden Silents" on the BBC around 1969

--------------------
Paul.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 12:47 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice
When you say that your Eiki conversion has had extensive work, I hope you are not referring to the Buckingham?

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2015 08:27 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to find a super 8 print of this film. I don't collect 9.5 but it is an interesting little film....I have a copy of it on VHS that I made a nice clamshell cover for. I don't even remember where I got it from.

Bill [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 05, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry
No, I wasn't referring to the Buckingham Elf conversion, but to an Eiki Slimline SNT3 which came with a large 9.5mm collection.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 15, 2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the DVD of 'Lights Out' and I think it is a great capsule of 9.5mm history, and very entertaining. I had it running continuously on a portable DVD player at the US Cinesea convention in April, right alongside a Pathe Baby, and it seemed to get quite a lot of attention. [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 22, 2015 02:49 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-and that's why my 13 year son old knows what 9.5mm film is!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC