8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5mm sprocket puncher - homemade

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm sprocket puncher - homemade
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2016 10:56 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was just posed on the Super 8mm Facebook page.
It's very clever and as we 9.5mm collectors know,there is more 8mm film around than 8mm , I wouldn't think the 1.5mm difference will make much difference for a leader?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKjVLvQAWww

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Thijs de Kort
Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2016 07:42 AM      Profile for Thijs de Kort   Email Thijs de Kort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought, but wouldnt this work more precise with a 16 mm leader? cut it down to the right width (9,5) and then perforate it. Or are there some issues why that wouldnt work.
Anyway its a nice piece of equipment.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2016 11:15 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is how all of the 9.5mm film is made these days from 16mm...This Super 8 to 9.5 is a funny little thing but completely pointless and not practical since the height of a Super 8 film is obviously smaller than 9.5, so unless you were making some weird off sized leader that is going to be more trouble than is worth, I wouldn't recommend it. Imagine watching TV back in the 1970's where every now and then the picture would start slowly rolling, that is the way Super 8 re-perfed to 9.5 would be constantly since the pitch is different.

but with 16mm you can re-perf to 9.5 and actually run it in a 9.5 projector because the pitch is the same between a frame of 16mm and a frame of 9.5...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2016 01:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, the filmstock sold by Color City is not reperfored from 16 mm but from unperfored 35 mm.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 23, 2016 01:16 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dino, the filmstock sold by Color City is not reperfored from 16 mm but from unperfored 35 mm.

--------------------
Dominique

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique, where do they get the unperfed 35mm from? I know Kodak stopped offering it a few years back.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 24, 2016 03:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the moment, 35 mm unperforated film is sadly unaviable. Color City used Fuji film. The former manager (the father of the lady who took over) has a lot of contacts in the cine world and could have a supply until one or two years ago. There has been a hope quiet recently that Fuji could have manufactured a limited quantity of fresh stock but that has not been the case. So all the ninefivers are now waiting for Ferrania's revival (by the way, they may be ready for the Summer but that is to be confirmed). Many of us made stocks of films but we are almost out of them (that's my case, only a few rols left). The only way to shoot now in 9,5, if you have no filmstock in your fridge is to have 16 mm film reperfored.

--------------------
Dominique

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2016 10:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody did a neat bit of engineering to make the device shown in the video. And the width being 1.5mm short is all put to one side; not sure what that means in terms of tracking through a machine. Also, the pitch of the Super 8 perfs and the 9.5 perfs aren't related in the outcome of this thing. Seems legit. Nicely done. Reslitting from 16 would be better, to be sure, but this is a nice second, yes?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 28, 2016 11:59 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Clinton observed, this little device seems only really suitable to provide leaders for 9.5mm film.
Bought second-hand 9.5mm films rarely have enough leader for threading your projector, so this would be a very handy item to have. (Provided you have enough 8mm film to feed it with!)

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 28, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, 9,5 leader is available, so I don't really see any advantage of making some from 8mm.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC