8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 28mm in Birmingham

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 28mm in Birmingham
Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case any members in the Birmingham area are interested, Brian Giles and I are presenting a programme of 28mm films at the Flatpack Festival on Sunday, 1pm. Plus a morning programme of silent era cartoons on 9.5mm and 16mm, all with live accompaniment:

http://flatpackfestival.org.uk/event/28mm-pathes-forgotten-film-gauge/

http://flatpackfestival.org.uk/event/cartoon-rock-4/

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2016 02:09 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful looking projectors Chris. Are they yours? I have a very nice Pathe Kok but never seen a 28mm projector like the one in the photo. I also have a 28mm film of Charlie Chaplin in The Bank which I would imagine is quite rare on that guage. Problem I have is getting hold of an original lamp for the Kok at a sensible price.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2016 04:04 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, the projector in the foreground is mine, the one in the background is Brian Giles'. They're both Victors, fairly scarce here, but they have Maltese cross intermittents, which is a plus. The KOKs are beautiful. I fear you may have to upgrade to a modern lamp though - there is usually a spare KOK lamp on eBay, listed for a few hundred pounds!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2016 04:47 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris
Yes I've seen those lamps - ridiculous prices. I have considered upgrading the lighting but the Dynamo will not power anything much more than a torch bulb and I would so much rather keep it original. Obviously I can bypass the Dynamo and install a modern lamp, and have done so, but as I say I would much prefer to keep it original. Just love your Victor. Beautiful beast.

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2016 02:38 AM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, yes, it's a difficult decision whether to mess with these old and very rare machines, and the KOK is so interesting that it's a pity to alter its originality. By the way I forgot to say, The Bank is a great film to have, any 28mm film is extremely rare anyway, but Chaplin is wonderful to be able to show on a century old hand cranked projector.

The shows went very well, audiences of 60 for the cartoons, and 50 for the 28mm. All went incredibly smoothly and without a hitch.

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Done! ! ! ! ! ! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 28, 2016 04:58 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any pictures of the projection ?

--------------------
Dominique

Chris Bird
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2016 03:56 PM      Profile for Chris Bird   Email Chris Bird   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominque, here is one from the show. Brian Giles' Victor is running this reel - my earlier hand cranked machine is just visible behind the screen ready to run the next reel.

-

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted April 30, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Chris ! Looks great.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC