8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Help Required with Son 9.9mm low sound

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help Required with Son 9.9mm low sound
Allen Nunneley
Junior

- posted May 05, 2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Allen Nunneley   Author's Homepage   Email Allen Nunneley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good evening gentlemen from a sunny Mullion Cove Cornwall.

I have owned a Son 9.5 since 1967, it ran ok apart from the motor seizing up now and then.

The sound was fine in the 1967s the last time I used a sound film.

A few weeks ago I purchased three motors on eBay, one a Gem motor looked almost new as the commutator had no sign of wear.

The only difference between the Son and Gem motor is the governor for the sound speed, I had wired the governor our years ago on my Son.

To help protect the new motor I drilled two 1/16 holes through the case of the projector, then through the motor casting then the bearing to the spindle.

I used the centre of a VHF coaxial plug as a tube through the motor casting into the bearing.

By taking out the lamp and cover I can see to line thing up, it is now a simple matter lubricate the front and rear motor bearings using a syringe.

I had managed to damage the HT rectifier valve when removing the chassis, so decided to re-cap it as after fitting a new one a check with a meter revelled DC on the grid of the 6v6.

I have now replaced all the capacitors and the amp has plenty of gain, the optical sound though is very low.

The adjuster for the sound lamp alignment does peak, I had when re-fitting the chassis reversed the leads to the Cintel GS 52 photo electric cell, I had not tried the sound before doing this.

With the leads round the right way the sound is low, taking the photo call cover off and flashing a torch at it produces plenty of noise.

The alignment of the lamp in the base looks OK, however the tube that extends from the photo cell cover to the sound drum has what appears to be a transparent plastic tube inside, it is not clear it is brown in colour.

Could any owner of a son undo the three screws that hold the photo cell cover and have a look to see if the plastic in the tube should be clear ?

I have located a photo cell on eBay which is on its way, but it is not known if it is new.

Thank you for your time.

God Bless Allen

-

|  IP: Logged

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2017 04:50 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allen Nunneley
Just read your post last year regarding the work done on your Son.
I am trying to locate the photo electric cell for the Pathe Son. Can you remember who you got yours from? It is a Cintel GS52.
Terry

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2017 05:09 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Allen, From my memory of the SON (Urgh!) the plastic tube should be clear. The brown colour may be a mixture of dust and oil which has covered the top. This would account for the low volume as the the brown colour dims the brightness of the lamp. Does this make sense to you. Pleased you managed to find a photocell. They must be very rare these days. Best of luck. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC