8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Best camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Best camera
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very simple question: in the world of the "little portable" — so exclude the large Pathé Webo 9.5, that which is, in my opinion, the best 9,5mm camera — what is the best 9,5mm camera?
Which model, with which lens?
Thank you! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 14, 2016 10:49 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best camera was the Pathe "Lido" 50ft spool loading. It has standard C mount lens so could be used with any C mount lens. The standard size for most 16mm cameras with interchangable lenses. Ken Finch.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2016 06:24 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, Pathé Lido is a nice camera, with more modern design.
I read on Grahame'site of two version, one without speed selector and single frame, and one, 1v, with both. Which you have?

EDIT: I have a question, maybe someone has tried it and know how to respond to me: if I load a camera with a shorter lenght film than expected, is a problem?
For example: I load a roll of 15 meters on a Pathè Webo M with usualy max capacity of 30 meter, or I load 8,20 meters of film on a Eumig 9,5mm that have cartridge for usually 15 meter of film.
I ask this because if I wanted to accompany another camera with larger capacity of films to my Camex Gs, which have cartridges of 8,20/9 meters of film, I would have a "compatible" film lenght for the two cameras.
As we know, the measures currently for sale are 8,20m; 15m and 30m.
One solution would be to always buy 30 meters, but cut it and measure it in the dark is difficult...

[ October 15, 2016, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Luigi Castellitto ]

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted October 15, 2016 10:06 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually there is no problem in using shorter lenght of film within a camera, the only "issue" (if we want to call it in this way) is that you have to remember that the film will end sooner than the end indicated by the counter. With 16mm and 35mm it is common to rewind shorter lenght starting from larger reels.

One trick to measure the lenght of film wound in a spool (or in a core) in darkness is to use some reference (like a toothpick, or a ruler cut at the appropriate lenght) and check with the use of your hands if the width of the film matches the "measure" you have created before (and in lightroom [Smile] ).

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2016 11:57 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Fabrizio. It's true, in 16mm I shot with lower lenght film on a reels of 30 meters, with no problem. In 9,5mm, I use cartridges, but I think is the same.

The trick for the length in the dark is nice, I can use old reels of film never exposed, dated, that I use for run test in the cameras.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 17, 2016 01:01 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, when you say : "As we know, the measures currently for sale are 8,20m; 15m and 30m.", that applies on what have been available so far but, appart from the black and white filmstock THAT IS SAID to exist in Spain, Nothing is currently available :-(

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2016 07:08 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read that Color City have a "coming soon." But they can put on the market new Velvia 9.5mm film?

A curiosity: the machinery that has Color City could cut into 9.5mm other emulsions?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 18, 2016 03:21 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"coming soon" is commercial optimistic statement that refects a hope but nothing has turned to be sure so far regarding a date. Ferrania is not answering seriousely any precise question about 35 mm unperfored film so other sources are explored but, again, nothing reliable so far. The latest new I heard was that Kodak is going to manufacture a limited quantity of 35 mm filmstock but it is not known if it will be reversal stock (and if it is, what would be the quality, what would be the asa, what would be the availability, the price ?...).
I have never seen the machine that reperfors 9.5 so I have no idea if it can also reperfor to other gauges.

--------------------
Dominique

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, My Lido camera is the 4 speed and single frame model. I purchased it from Bentley films. The Lido was introduced for the ill fated "Duplex" wide screen system Double run through the camera, held horizontally, and then slit like standard 8 used to be when processed. It could also use normal 9.5mm film. On the later production runs, the cameras were slightly modified to take the normal 9.5mm film only. My camera is one of these. Ken Finch.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2016 06:41 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ken, thank you. On site Grahame's site I have read the evolution of Lido.
Probably is the best choice for the "small" 9.5 mm cameras, has the advantage of having large spools and is compact and strong.
I think I'll take that. But too bad for the current absence from the market of 9,5mm film unexposed [Frown] (

Dom: any news Color City?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 26, 2016 01:43 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Luigi. I have had no new from Color City but I got some updates from Ferrania. It seems that the Italian company could send the rewards (that means super 8 and 16 mm stock) this year so things are moving, although we still have no garantee that Ferrania will provide unperfored 35 mm stock.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC