8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » PatheSuper Model PB Ex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: PatheSuper Model PB Ex
Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted January 31, 2017 06:41 AM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend brought round his Pathe Super PB Ex for me to get running.
I guess it is around 1925 or thereabouts.
Two of the belts are square section and the other is spring wire type.
There is an external resistance. Will this be for connection to the mains ie. 230 volt or being French could it be a different voltage ?
If anyone knows of this model and can give me a few useful tips that would be handy. Film loading will be one of the early questions.

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 31, 2017 08:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
Grahame Newnham's web-site should be of use to you.
http://www.pathefilm.uk/95gearpathe.htm

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted January 31, 2017 09:56 AM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I have made a start, but hit a big snag as soon as I checked why the shutter drive pulley was not turning. The mazac shutter /flywheel wheel has deformed into a square shape and was stuck on both sides of the housing. I have managed to remove it ,as the bore had also deformed and was very loose on the shaft.
Next stage is to turn up a new alloy shutter I guess, because I doubt if anyone has new ones.
Mike.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 31, 2017 10:06 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, the Pathé Baby projectors use 110 volts. Not because they are french but because they were built when 220 volts didn't exist as a standard voltage. You can find new shutters from different sources, including a British one (I'm sure some English ninefivers will provide all the needed informations).

--------------------
Dominique

Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted January 31, 2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Under the top cover, there is a very small lever with a ratchet shape on the end.
When the mechanism is rotated, this lever does not seem to serve any purpose. Any ideas anyone ?
Also, why does the mechanism wind up on the worm gear and then release with a click ?
I have contacted Ron Ashton re. new shutter/flywheel.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 31, 2017 03:02 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike
I don't know the projector first-hand as I never owned one, but I think you may be referring to the plunger for the film notching device.
When the pin drops into a notch in a film the mechanism freezes for a certain number of turns of the winder.
This allowed time to read a title card. A lot of words on a card required more than one notch.

--------------------
Maurice

Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted February 01, 2017 03:56 AM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,
yes you are correct, that is part of the notching device.
Mike.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2017 02:05 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike. The notched title mechanism will click at the end of the run when you turn the crank handle if you do not have a film in the projector. When you run a film through the gate , the little plunger is held back by the film edge until there is a notch. It then disengages the claw and you keep on cranking until the mechanism reaches the end of the worm, moves the plunger back, re engages the claws, and the film continues until the next notch comes along. There is a lot of information about these projectors on the forum if you lok back through old posts on the 9.5mm sections. Ken Finch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC