8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Pathe Son

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pathe Son
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2017 01:05 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just acquired a Pathe Son in amazing like new cosmetic condition together with cabinet and even the instruction manual. It looks like it has never been used ot if it has, then very little. However, as to be expected, the amplifier needs work. When switched on there is a loud buzz/hum so the amplifier is working to a degree. Can anyone suggest a possible cause/remedy.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted February 04, 2017 08:55 AM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,
If it is a valve amplifier,first thing to check would be the mains smoothing capacitors. These are in alloy cans and look where the wires connect. If the insulation is bulging out, that is a good sign that the component is failing. You can check them by linking another capacitor of the same value from original cap. terminal to the chassis with crocodile clips. Careful of voltages as can be very high if it is a valve set. If main smoothing caps are ok, then check all coupling caps throughout. The mains capacitors are often in one can.
Mike.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2017 09:23 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mike
I will have a look but electrics aren't my thing. If I take a photo of the circuitry I could send you a picture by email but I can't get the hang of posting pictures on this forum with my iPad.

Mike Byrne
Junior

- posted February 04, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for Mike Byrne   Email Mike Byrne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry,
I did spot a photo on the net of a Son amplifier and the capacitor
is around the middle of the chassis with the lower part with terminals inside the chassis but main part is above, through a punched hole. (if you get my drift.)
I understand there were two different amplifiers for this model ,so can you email me a clear sharp photo of the amplifier internals ?
email me on mikebyrne611atbtinternet.com (change "at" for @ as this avoids spam.)
Mike.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC