8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Running 9.5mm film in Pathe Gem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Running 9.5mm film in Pathe Gem
John Wakefield
Junior

- posted February 14, 2017 06:37 PM      Profile for John Wakefield   Email John Wakefield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

Having been fascinated with projection all my life (and started making a doc about it) I recently picked up a Pathescope Gem projector which I am utterly in love with and having worked out how to thread it and run the film properly I have been collecting a number of reels.

A couple of very quick questions that I'm struggling to find answers too.

Some of the films I've picked up appear to be in excellent cosmetic condition (sprocket holes seem fine to my eye and the film is not twisted) but when trying to run it through the projector it simply feeds up through the gate, instantly losing the bottom loop. Is this likely to be a fault with the film or am I doing something wrong in in the projector set up? (other films seem to run just fine, often this happens half way through a reel or indeed between two reels of a pair).

Also very quick question on maintenance. Does the projector need oiling (something I saw somewhere) and if so any advice on regularity and how to etc).

Thank you for any advice, it's much appreciated!

John

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2017 01:14 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film shrinkage,perhqaps?

John Wakefield
Junior

- posted February 16, 2017 02:25 PM      Profile for John Wakefield   Email John Wakefield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply!

I thought that was probably the case, having read up, and I'm guessing that that means those films are largely unprojectable in that case? Is there any way to reverse any of these issues/make the gem more easy going on them?

Thanks for answering such rookie questions.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 16, 2017 06:57 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello. It may happen if one or two perforations are damaged. When you loosed the loop, have you checked the perfos on the film zone that had just been through the projector ? It may also be the projector. I have a 9.5 projector that loose the loop repetingly. I have never been able to fix it (but I'm not good at that).

--------------------
Dominique

John Wakefield
Junior

- posted February 18, 2017 08:38 AM      Profile for John Wakefield   Email John Wakefield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time yes I can see the issue, but on some films they just seem to refuse to play at all and just feed straight through. (I presume a product of film shrinking).

It may well be a touch of both however, Strangely the films I was having difficulty with the other day I tried to run again last night and they ran considerably better. The first (despite a touch of shakiness at moments), and a couple of feedups from sproket damage, ran from start to finish.

And another (which the other evening I could not run whatsover) did play, although still not for a long time. So it may well be a combination of both.

If you've stopped a film (for any reason) in the middle of showing it what speed should you start it up again? - I found that to be a variable too as to how well it seemed to play again (although I may well be totally overcomplicating it all)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC