8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Lens Cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lens Cleaning
Ken Kessler
Junior

- posted February 19, 2017 12:17 PM      Profile for Ken Kessler   Email Ken Kessler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm restoring a verve nice Baby (don't know how to identify the model) It has a removable top that houses a small (Approximately 1 X 1/2 inch) brass tube that incases the glass lens assembly. This is the projection lens. The lens element(s) appear to be held in the tube with a threaded black ring with a raised, knurled, edge. The lens has internal haze. Questions: 1. Has anyone dismantled one of these? 2. Number and configuration of elements? 3. Is there a front/rear orientation when I put it back in the top housing? Additionally... the bulb has a spring on the top to tension/hold it in place. How do I remove it? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 19, 2017 04:55 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have only cleaned a Baby lens on the outside...but the lens from my non-working Baby needs internal cleaning as well. I will follow the same procedure that I have done with cleaning other lenses. During disassembly I will carefully document the sequence and direction (concave or convex) of each element I remove. I take a photo and also draw a picture on paper to use as a map for re-assembly.

Lens Orientation:
When inserting the lens back into the holder...with the focusing lever on the left the "M" in Made in France should be at the top. My lens also has a black ring on that end. I also put a mark on the lens barrel with a felt marker before removing it.

Here is the lens in question and a closeup of the retaining ring that needs to be removed to access the internal lenses.

-

To remove the lamp spring...unscrew and remove the screw as shown in the photo. Be carefull since there is a nut on the opposite side and it will fall down if you don't hold on to it.

-

[ February 20, 2017, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC