8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Making modifications to a specto 9.5mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making modifications to a specto 9.5mm
Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2017 01:04 AM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

I have a specto 9.5mm that I'd like to fix up and update.

The first issue it has is the blown out suppression capacitor. The writing on the capacitor is very faint, so I can't really read what it says on it. Would anyone happen to know the specs for this capacitor and where to order one?

The next thing I wanted to tackle was the internal wiring. I'd like to redo it, but don't really know where to start. I'm afraid to start taking apart things without looking at a schematic. Are there any schematics available for these guys? I have a model B.

The last thing I wanted to do was to update the bulb to a newer bulb type. I am wondering if I can keep the current transformer that is inside the specto, or if I need to use a different one. I'd like to use a halogen bulb, but I don't know what type I should use and with what kind of transformer (if I even need to use one).

I apologize for the long post. I've got a lot of work to do and at the pace I'm going it will take quite a while to get through it all, but I wanted to get an idea of how to start all this. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 03:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
The Specto was British made and probably has the standard suppression capacitor of the time, viz, a 0.1uF 250v/AC.
The web-site of Van-Eck Video Services in the Netherlands advertises an item under their spare parts list for the Bolex M8, and others. This appears to be suitable.
http://shop.van-eck.net/EC-0010.html

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice,

Thank you very much for that link. That was really helpful. I know Grahame Newnham does cell this capacitor, but unfortunately, he does not ship to the U.S. But thankfully this company does.

Would you happen to know the best way to go about updating the lamp?

Thank you again for your help.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 02:21 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regretfully, the term Model B seems to not appear anywhere to describe the projector. Do I assume your projector runs on 240 volt mains as I believe the motor runs at this voltage?

The first Spectos had a 30 volt 100 watt lamp with a transformer in its base.

Later, Specto produced a 250 watt model which had a 50 volt 250 watt lamp. To house the larger transformer the base was enlarged. This model can be recognised by a handle above the lamp-house.

For even more light, the 500 was introduced in 1951. The lamp now fed from a built-in resistance which supplied 110 volts. A 500 can be recognised by the new longer spool arms which accommodate 800ft spools, one arm folds to form a carrying handle.

I hope the above may give you some more information.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 02:42 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the motor runs at 240V. I must have one of the earlier models as it has a 30 volt 100 watt lamp. I can see the transformer at the base of the projector. The following link is a picture of the base as well as the rest:

http://i.imgur.com/T4DGfxn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/26Crh5x.jpg

If I wanted to switch to a halogen type lamp, what would I need to do? I've read a few postings on here where some people have removed the transformer and where some have kept it, but they weren't clear on the type of replacement lamp they were using. Please let me know if you need more information, or pictures.

Thank you again for your help!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 06, 2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 100 watt lamp had a special offset filament and is now probably unobtainable.

As you have the standard projector you could replace the original transformer with a suitable one to supply a 24volt 150watt lamp, the A1/216 tungsten halogen.

http://cpc.farnell.com/ge-lighting/13598/fcs-a1-216-24v-150w-g6-35/dp/LP04775?CMP=KNC-GUK-CPC-GEN-KWL-GE_LIGHTING&mckv=shY2nmvXY_dc|pcrid|73679640497|kword|_intitle%3A-%20ge%20ligh ting%20-%23inurl%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fcpc.farnell.com|match|b|plid|&gclid=CLCMw-fewtICFUGeGwodjsUG_g

A new lamp-holder will obviously be needed.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2017 03:21 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is exactly the information I needed!

Would a transformer like this be useful?

https://www.zoro.com/fu nctional-devices-inc-rib-class-2-transformer-40va-24vac-fuse-tr40va040/i/G5010503/?gclid=CLec5ZjkwtICFUpehgodnU8LQA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Since I'm in the U.S. I'll be using a step up transformer to power the motor. I figured I will need a transformer that will run on 240V input, which this one does. It also works on 50 or 60 Hz. Does the UK run on 50 Hz? For some reason that's what I remembered.

[ March 06, 2017, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: Robert Neia ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 03:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Reminding you of OHMS law.

Volts times amps equal watts. The expression VA means volts times amps. Your shown transformer of 40VA is typically close to 40 watts, and as such, would not be suitable to power the suggested lamp which is 150 watts.

The UK has a mains frequency of 50Hz but your 60Hz mains will not affect the motor in the Specto. Only synchronous motors are governed by mains frequency.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 05:04 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
40VA is of course only close to 40 watts at a decent power factor rating but nevertheless this is a very small transformer in electrical terms and certainly not suitable for providing a supply for many modern halogen lamps.

[ March 07, 2017, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 07, 2017 12:03 PM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to forgive me for that rookie mistake!

I have been looking online for about an hour now and my search only came up with two transformers that might be suitable:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122367625862?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380867819161?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These seem to be rated at 200 VA. It's more than what I need, but I can still use one of these, correct?

Thank you again for helping me get set up.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 07, 2017 02:40 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

I would suggest that either will be OK, but only you would know if they will fit inside the Specto.

1) The Walsall is used, it seems quite small at 100mm x 92mm x 82mm.
2) The Euro is new, but there is no indication of its size.

Both are quite expensive once postage to you from the UK is included, although the Walsall is slightly cheaper.

You could ask the seller of the Euro for the dimensions of their transformer.

I will have to let you decide your further actions.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Neia
Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2017 12:46 AM      Profile for Robert Neia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maruice,

I can't thank you enough for all of your help and advice. I'll go ahead and inquire about the dimensions of the Euro transformer and see if its any different. I'm sure with a little bit of luck I'll be able to fit one of these transformers into the base of the Specto

At the rate that I'm going, it is going to take a while for me to make this modification, considering this will be my first time. Almost everything I'm ordering is from overseas, so that will add on more time, but I will definitely keep you posted on how it all goes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC