8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » 9.5mm Pathe Baby Shutter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm Pathe Baby Shutter
Craig Gildner
Junior

- posted May 22, 2017 09:19 AM      Profile for Craig Gildner   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Gildner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm a collector of primarily Super 8 and 16mm, but I've always been fascinated with the 9.5mm gauge and subsequently, the Pathe(x) Baby. I understand it will be difficult finding a good 90 year old machine in the U.S. that's in proper working order with all the pieces, but hope springs eternal. As I search, I've discovered two eBay listings of complete projectors with crumbling shutters. Ron Ashton's name appears on this forum as the go to guy for new shutters. Not sure if he's still doing this (last post was 2013?) or if he's changed his e-mail, since I've not received a response. Can anyone help? Also, for retrofitting to modern lighting from the original 10 watt bulbs, what wattage is recommended? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 22, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig
Have you seen this? Some of the details may help. Ron Ashton is/was a member of this Forum.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000051

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 22, 2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig...I corresponded with Ron Ashton about 10 months ago. You should contact him to see if he has any shutters in stock. PM me for the email address I have.

I wouldn't recommend any halogen bulb more that 10 watts. A 20 watt bulb can burn the film if in the gate too long. I actually have been using an LED bulb that is equal in brightness to the 10W halogen, but not hot. I haven't looked recently to see if there is a brighter LED available. The problem with LED's and the Baby is how the light goes thru the condenser lens. The bulb may be bright...but the light only partially gets funneled thru the condenser lens.

See this thread: http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000353

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Craig Gildner
Junior

- posted May 29, 2017 01:56 PM      Profile for Craig Gildner   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Gildner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice-PM feature has been disabled, and I can't seem to send you an e-mail through the system because the admin hasn't approved it. Any other means?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 29, 2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did get your PM Craig and sent you back the last email address I used to contact Ron.

--------------------
Janice

Craig Gildner
Junior

- posted June 05, 2017 11:25 AM      Profile for Craig Gildner   Author's Homepage   Email Craig Gildner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice. Ron doesn't seem to be responding to any of my e-mails. I have a chance to buy a complete (albeit dirty) projector with a shutter that's intact, but cracking, and the seller says its apparently swollen because the mechanism is stuck/frozen. Could there be other causes for the mechanism being frozen that a new shutter won't fix? Perhaps I should pass and wait for a better one? Also, any other things I should watch out for?

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 05, 2017 12:14 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig...I must apologize, but I just checked my last my last email with Ron and saw that he sent me an email address change. Please PM again and I'll send it to you.

I would definitely pass on the projector you mention...The primary cause for the mechanism to freeze is a broken or swollen shutter.

--------------------
Janice

Ganesh Sahni
Junior

- posted June 10, 2017 04:15 AM      Profile for Ganesh Sahni   Email Ganesh Sahni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a Pathe baby from a flea market in Paris looks like have a bad shutter can someone tell me where can I get a new one.
Thanks

--------------------
"Here's looking at you, kid."
Rick Blaine-Casablanca(1942)

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 10, 2017 11:18 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ganesh as mentioned previously Ron Aston makes new shutters. Craig has recently contacted him and currently he has none available, but he will be making more in the future. If you PM me I can send you his email address. Perhaps Ron can put you on a waiting list.

--------------------
Janice

Ganesh Sahni
Junior

- posted June 10, 2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Ganesh Sahni   Email Ganesh Sahni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice! Managed to get the shutter installed it and the projector is working like a charm.BTW for anyone looking for the shutter.Received an email from Ron that he should be able to have some shutters ready by end of the month.
Thanks

[ June 26, 2017, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Ganesh Sahni ]

--------------------
"Here's looking at you, kid."
Rick Blaine-Casablanca(1942)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC