8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 9.5mm Forum   » Filming with 1932 Coronet 9.5mm Mk 1 (Model A) + Rodinal experiments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Filming with 1932 Coronet 9.5mm Mk 1 (Model A) + Rodinal experiments
Iain Petrie
Junior

- posted November 30, 2019 04:50 AM      Profile for Iain Petrie   Author's Homepage   Email Iain Petrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I shot around 25 feet of the 1960s Ferrania negative film I bought a couple of weeks ago in newly acquired Coronet Mk1 camera. Here are the results, compared to a Pathe B. I'll do a full telecine once I've developed the rest of the film tonight.
I'm still not happy with the grain I'm getting with Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand development so will try Perceptol tonight too. The link:
https://fouragesofsand.blogspot.com/2019/11/shooting-with-1932-coronet-95mm-mk-1.html

|  IP: Logged

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2019 09:50 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting Iain. Coronet were a very successful company, in business until 1967, but their customers were not fussy about the quality they got for the low prices they paid.

--------------------
Paul.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2019 09:18 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Iain, I started out with one of these at about age 13, bought secondhand from Butcher Curnow in Blackheath village. It cost me £5.0!! Had to save up pocket money for it. I still have one but not the same one as I traded it in for a Dekko in 1954. Yes the lens is not high quality but not bad if you do not try close ups shorter than about 6ft. Also if light is bright enough to set to smaller aperture. I shot my first films using Gevapan reversal 3x30ft reloads at £1.6.11. Loaded into P chargers by the photo dept shop assistant who tought me a lot about using 9.5mm at the time. I still have all the film I shot with it as it is part of my family history. Ken Finch [Smile]

Iain Petrie
Junior

- posted December 01, 2019 04:58 PM      Profile for Iain Petrie   Author's Homepage   Email Iain Petrie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul and Ken, it was fun to have a go with this piece of history!It really "purrs" in action, and unlike the Pathe B, it's really easy to operate the shutter release without sending the camera flying ot one side. I've taken the lens and lens housing off, and it's a lovely simple mechanism. I had the idea to try a different lens, but I'll give the close up a go Ken. I read that the later B model was an improvement.
Iain

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC