8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Is this always the case for Ken's good print quality

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this always the case for Ken's good print quality
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 13, 2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I notice that a few Ken's releases are in the clamshell box which have identical artworks to the previous cardboard ones.

So can we say that this is their later release before the end of Ken?

I found this ebay list and it shows the Elvis "Fun in Acapulco" with clamshell type instead of the common cardboard one.

-

Fortunately the seller also provides th screen shot and his print shows a sharp and unfaded colour.

-

So, will this the best the way to get Ken's good print by looking to the type of box (if the seller does not have an idea about 8mm).

Any one can give an anti-thesis that one Ken's film in a clamshell box has also faded (please dont't give an exhibit for a title that ONLY available in a clamshel box, e.g Rocky Horror, Alien, etc or a doubt becuase the possibility that the previous owner has swapped)

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 13, 2007 09:16 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I have later releases of Ken's early titles (Saint Valentine Day, French Connection...) in clamshell boxes and some of them are faded.
I have this release of Fun in Acapulco with quite good colours, though.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 13, 2007 09:46 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I don't have enough re-packaged Ken Films to conjecture, but I know that doesn't hold true for Columbia's product. Many of my Columbia digests in their newer clamshell cases have faded as badly (if not more) than their cardboard box brethren.

On the bright side, I've recently had great luck with Ken releases (cardboard). There are still prints out there with very nice color!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2007 10:17 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I picked up a very early Ken print the other day called COFFY with PAM GRIER and the colour is stunning!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 13, 2007 04:33 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have very few of my Ken films digests left, (having moved to feature collecting), but my scope 400ft. print of STAR WARS Pt.2 still has stunning unfaded colors. It says Eastman, but this is no doubt the lower fade Eastman.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2007 07:05 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My later Ken films in the Clamshell case have good colour, but so do most of my earlier Ken films in cardboard. I have removed all of my films from clamshell cases due to the fact that no circulating air brings on Vinegar Syndrome much faster.

Almost every single clamshell film I have gives a least a slight vinegar smell, at least until I removed them.

If I had to choose a brand that has faded most in my collection, it would be Columbia. I put it down to Eastman stock, poor processing and the fact that Columbia came out with their colour 400ft digests earlier than most of the other companies.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC