8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical Prints (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Optical Prints
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 02:32 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

Some of you will remember that on the old forum we had a thread like this where we listed all the optical prints that people were aware had been released and found their way into the collectors market. As that list is lost now [Frown] I thought I might have a go at re-creating it, I have compiled the following one from all the prints I could see on dealers lists, in my collection or from memory.

Last time I think we got up to over 40 so it's over to you guys to add some more..... [Wink]

Mike

1. A fish Called Wanda
2. A Man, A Woman, And A Bank
3. A Matter of Time
4. Across the Great Divide
5. Broadway Danny Rose
5. City Heat
7. Claras Heart
8. Conduct Unbecoming
9. Crocodile Dundee
10. Death on the Nile
11. Dr No
12. Doctor Moreau
13. Finders Keepers
14. Footloose
15. Force Ten From Navarone
16. From Russia withLove
17. Futureworld
18. Ghostbusters
19. Gray Eagle
20. Greystoke Lord of the Jungle
21. How to beat the high cost of living
22. Ice Pirates
23. Just You and Me
24. Lady in Red
25. Land That Time Forgot
26. Lethal Weapon
27. Little Shop of Horrors
28. Live a little steal a lot
29. Lone Wolf McQuade
30. Memories of me
31. On Golden Pond
32. Over The Top
33. Pale Rider
34. Prototype
35. Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
36. Rising Damp
37. Romance of the Horse Thief
38. Sacred Ground
39. Shout at the Devil
40. Something Short Of Paradise
41. Spaceballs
42. Speed Fever
43. Splash
44. Sudden Impact
45. The Bounty
46. The Dreamer
47. The French lieutenants Woman
48. The Go-between
49. The Interncine
50. The Osterman Weekend
51. The Purple Rose of Cairo
52. The Thirty Nine Steps
53. Thunderball
34. Trail of the Pink Panther
55. Where Eagles Dare
56. Zorro The Gay Blade

[ August 02, 2005, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 03:25 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Memories of me is currently on ebay on offer by Bolex 3 and it says Optical

What about Optical trailers/cartoons?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 03:30 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, have you forgotten already, [Confused] "Rising Damp" [Wink]

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 03:35 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris! I'm so sorry, how cold I forget Rising Damp after all the nice things I said about your print at the Lightwater mini cine fest [Roll Eyes]

It will be included with the first re-edit along with Memories of me, thanks Tony [Smile] I suppose we could broaden this to include shorts and trailers, might be better though to make those the subject of a second list, you know how I like to keep things in boxes [Wink]

Mike

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2004 05:44 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may add the Eastwood/Reynolds effort 'City Heat'

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 21, 2004 07:13 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have The Island Of Doctor Moreau in Optical. The 1970's version with Burt Landcaster. Also, A Man, A Woman, And A Bank in Optical.

Dan

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 21, 2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike,
Let's add:
Force Ten From Navarone
A Matter of Time
Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Futureworld
Footloose
Land That Time Forgot
Pale Rider
Sudden Impact
Crocodile Dundee
Revenge of the Pink Panther

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 12:31 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why did studios even manufacture magnetic sound film if optical was an option in the first place?

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 01:27 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

Was Lady in Red an optical?

Tony

--------------------
Tony

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 03:46 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speed Fever-Robert Hardy
Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 04:24 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, the sound quality of stripe is (potentially) better than optical sound on 8mm.I think Kev explained why on another thread.
I suppose that adding sound to home movies was not practical using the optical method.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 22, 2004 05:57 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tony she was on Optical and the copy I had WAS RED!

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 12:24 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lads.

I've added your contributions in, as you will see we are back up to 43 which I'm pretty sure is how many we came up with on the old forum [Smile] .

Some of the titles above I have never seen appearing on the lists so they must be quite rare, hard to find but worth having.

So, are there any that we have forgotten. Anyone?

Mike

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 22, 2004 03:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, i'll just add a title i own to your list.

The Bounty.(Mel Gibson, Antony Hopkins)supplied on 4x600

Although we know these were airline prints etc etc, does anyone know why the airline prints were optical instead of the common and well proven magnetic stripe?
Although optical sound is pretty good unless you have a good machine, namely a GS i've always thought the sound to be a little inferior.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2004 04:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

I have two Woody Allen Features:
Broadway Danny Rose,
The Purple Rose of Cairo.

As well as, John Wayne in Stagecoach

A friend once told me about the film:
The Man Who Would Be King, was optical.

Optical prints advertising General Motors
brand name cars in America were also used in
Dealerships for training and selling automobiles.

I had two 10 minute shorts
featuring this a while back.

Cartoons had also been printed in
Regular 8 Optical as well.

Best Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 24, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just came across this thread while doing a forum search, and noticed no one has yet mentioned "Something Short Of Paradise" which was a full-length optical airline print. (I have it and will be shipping it to Dan Lail, incidentally.)

Also, how about - since airline prints have been showing up on eBay lately - doing a search for completed items (I think the seller is the same for all these films) and adding any films not yet on the list? [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Over the Top" with Sylvester Stallone! Sold as an ex-airline by Derann in 1987. Absolutely cracking print, absolutely crap film (produced by Cannon under the guise of Golan-Globus, remember them?)

The first feature I ever bought, priced £49.99!

Disney did some of their 200ft versions with English optical. I once rented the Sleeping Beauty extract "The Prince and the Dragon" in original Disney box with optical track. Wonder why they bothered??? Anyone know? Mind you, the optical sound was superb!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 24, 2005 06:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have a 200 ft extract from Bambi with optical sound as well as a 200ft extract from Herbie Rides Again. I have a number of the Pathe Pictorials which were put out by Dearnn with optical sound. A number of German titles were also released with Optical sound and one which I have been after for a long time was one called "DB" which was about the German Railways. I sold my copy many years ago but have since regretted doing so as the quality was stunning. It had a very sharp image and really fine film grain like so many of these optical sound prints.

Have just updated the list at the start of this thread.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2005 06:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had many optical prints through my hands at one time and another, here's another 4 for you "Dr. No" (stunning print) & "Sacred Ground" western adventure, "Splash" (lovely Daryl Hannah") & "Ghostbusters".

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 25, 2005 06:45 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiosity, do we know how many films got the airline print treatment?
Mike, is your list compiling company releases only? I guess that if it was to include airline prints, it would be much longer, right?

JM

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add 'Where Eagles Dare' to this list guys...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1476&item=6417696619&rd=1

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2005 10:23 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Virtually every "Top" film from the early 70's to the late 80's would have had optical prints made, either slightly edited for language or violence content, but as most collectors know, all these optical prints were supposed to be destroyed after their Airline run, but like everything, prints did get out, and this is why some unusual titles do crop up (did you know Derann were offered optical prints of "Die Hard" before they decided to release it).

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 25, 2005 11:02 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, your question about why optical and not mag sound. I think it was down to the fact that haveing a mag stripe would not have allowed the Airline projector cartridges to hold so much film. As it is they used thin based stocks on all the prints I have seen so can only think that it was down to getting the max playing time possible without having huge carts to hold the film.
Barry is this correct?

Kev.

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 25, 2005 11:25 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, The English prints didnt have the final coating that the USA prints had,hence, why the English prints suffered from more pops and noises. Fotunatly, all 16mm prints in this country did.
How many of the optical prints still have good colour. I know C Dundee has and also Little shop of horrors.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 25, 2005 11:30 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
My prints of Little Shop of Horrors, Trail of the pink Panther, Zorro the Gay Blade and Rising Damp are still in excellent shape wih no signs of fade [Smile]

Kev.

[ August 02, 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC