8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What's wrong with 8mm Italian prints?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's wrong with 8mm Italian prints?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 28, 2005 06:31 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably a naive question, but since I am new to the forum, I believe someone could answer my question.

I am now trying to add my collections through buying items from Ebay (my previus posts had indicated this). While I was lookig at UK German and US Ebay site the prices are just normal for 8mm price.But when I was searching at Italy (and also Spain) site the prices were much lower.

For example this full feature (5 x 400") was sold for only 15.50 EUR (approx. US$22) http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1476&item=6394555581

Another full feauture http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1476&item=6393582631 (4 x 400) was sold for only 11.50 EUR

http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1476&item=6394553130 was sold for15.50 EUR

In Spain site:

There were 3 parter of the Longest Yard from Marketing Film (which is my favorite company due to it tickness to the film packaging) http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60771&item=6395622172 was sold for 13.20 EUR

and another example:
Super 8 Frontier Horizon. John Wayne 3x400 http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60771&item=6395278544& was sold for 10.60 EUR

I belive in UK and US, these kind of movies will be sold for above US$30

So from those above examples, why in the these two countries 8mm much much cheaper.

1. Is this because of color and print quality in this two countries were sub standard? (Which I don't believe for the case of Marketing Film release above)

2. Is this because of dubbed version in their language, which did not attract other English speaking countries? (Some titles were actually English movie which people can re-record it like people do to the German releases)

3. Cost of shipping? (it may be true, but based on the above sold prices, shipping cost definetly will not be substantial)

4. Or it was just not my day to bid it and my badluck?

Could someone give me a direction, so I wil decide it whether or not buying item from Italy and Spain. I have friends in these countries who can pool the items for me.

Thanks,
winbert

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2005 11:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess..... all of these films simply weren't that interesting to anyone outside of Italy/Spain - the film titles, for example, tell me nothing although I speak both English and German and do have somewhat of an intuitive understanding of other European languages (now and then).
The only Italian super-8 prints I own are Bugs Bunny cartoons from Technofilm, and their quality is so-so. The colors are pretty good but overall the image is a little bleached out... no red shift but a pale image. I'm guessing that Italian/Spanish prints, to most UK/US-based collectors, simply appear to be of suspect quality so they don't really bother to bid on them.

But this is all just one big guess...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2005 06:44 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

The average print, made in Spain or Italy, have the same quality like prints from France, Germany, U.K. or U.S.A.

The worst offical prints I know are from Buck, Slough.
The four parters of "El Cid", "55 Days at Peking", "Circus World" and "Fall of the Roman Empire". All these prints are
very bad. Movies from the Mars? Ask me what happened in the lab, because their work for Disney or Derann was very good.

Have also prints from spanish 8mm companies. The quality is similar like prints from marketing film. Official prints from Italy are also very good. For example "Sandokan" with Kabri Bedi.
Still in stunning color and very good sharpness...... but bootlegs from the 70s are sometimes very bad. No color, no sharpness.

Here is a link to an italian page to check out which titles in Italy are ciculating and how the quality of them is.
==> http://members.xoom.virgilio.it/super8mania/Database/indice%20database.htm

Andreas

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2005 06:49 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately the majority of italian prints were made by pirates. Except of some specific cases, the master used for printing those copies was a 35mm "borrowed" for only one night from a theathre and used to print an internegative. In this case, the master suffered of all the problems arising from hours of projection and, for the 'scope prints, no accuracy were taken to get an internegative of good quality.
This is the situation for the majority of cases, but there were specific titles, made by pirates in a limited number of copy that are excellent even after 30 or more years.
Regarding official distribution companies, not all of the titles printed have now good quality, many times the copies are shifted to red.
Last but not least, most of the copies that you see on ebay, come from renting shops and may have lot of splices or problem in sound.

Fabrizio

PS: sorry for my english....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 01, 2005 05:04 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the clear answer. I understand now. Your story has also given me the scene of 8mm in Italy. No wonder that I saw almost all Italian 8mm boxes come in terrible conditions!. But doesn't Ebay restrict all pirate stuff to be auctioned? How could this item being sold through Ebay?

From site reffered by Andreas, I also found that the Italians made pirate copies of Disney....? [Eek!]

Thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 01, 2005 06:03 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
........Yes and they are awful. I had a copy of Disney's the Rescuers from a UK dealer recently which was an Italian print. It was on 3M film stock which you dont see very often. It had no sharpness to it and the colour was overall a sort of brownish look. The worst thing about it was that the print had loads of neg sparkle all the way through and in some places it was so bad that it looked like it was raining white dust.
Needless to say this went back [Frown] which is a shame because it was a title I was really after because Derann never released this one and I now have virtually all the Disney features which have been released.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 01, 2005 10:36 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm beginning to wonder whether 'Technofilm' was one of those pirates...

--------------------

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2005 04:01 AM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, not all the italian disneys are in bad conditions. Some titles were printed directly from the tech 16mm copies and are still now in very good conditions.
I have Snow White and Peter Pan and the colours are wonderful, even if the print is, in some places, with white dots, mainly due to problem in printing and not from the copies used.
Of course they're not on derann or chc level, but they give exactly the same feeling of the copies of the '70ies.

Winbert, in Italy Pirates made more than 60% of the full lenght features and they were sold in normal shops. Only in very few cases official distribution companies tried to return and destroy pirate copies, one of it was Pinocchio by Comencini, but in the other cases nothing happened.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 02, 2005 06:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Fabrizio, Do you know if they ever produced a decent copy of the Resuers? I'm still after a copy.
Any good links to second hand Italian lists/web sites?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Fabrizio Mosca
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for Fabrizio Mosca   Email Fabrizio Mosca   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, I don't know anything about this film, I think it's quite rare even in Italy, so I can't tell you if it may be found in good conditions. The only thing I can do is look for a good copy and send it to you, if the quality is good enough.

Anyway you may look on these sites:

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/passoridotto/SUPER8_16MM.htm
http://members.xoom.it/driveapples

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 02, 2005 04:43 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Fabrizio. The links look interesting too.

Kev. [Smile]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 02, 2005 08:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just kind of got clobbered by Andreas Eggeling for wondering whether Technofilm movies were pirated... I feel quite silly now, of course they're not, or you wouldn't find them on Derann's used lists... [Roll Eyes] Andreas also pointed out that Technofilm releases have quite good image stability which pirated films tend to not have. Anyway, I stand corrected, and ashamed too [Razz]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why Disney's 'Dumbo' or 'Song of the South' were never released by Derann? [Confused]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2005 02:00 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

... as I know is that exists a german full length "Dumbo" prints ....

Another questions about Laurel & Hardy, was there any short or feature which was never released in UK/USA on Super8?

Andreas

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 22, 2005 02:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had a couple of italian titles, one was The adventurer with Antony Qiunn, a very good little 3x400 and a classic music score by the great Ennio Morricone but unfortunatly the sound was in sync in some parts and waaaaaaaay out in others, like 3-4 seconds out so we passed it back. Some time later another copy in its original box also had exactly the same fault.
Another title with exactly the same problem was the very funny and rare Rebels on the loose. A mickey take on the clint Eastwood spagetti westerns. Although a forieng film dubbed into English the sound was 3-4 seconds out. In many scenes the speaking was coming through in scenes where the lips wernt even moving. Really sad because these two titles did put me off Italian prints.
I know this isnt typical but these two titles were excellent in every way apart from the sound syncin' Does anyone else have these titles?

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

I don't believe that these Laurel & Hardy Silents were ever released on Super 8mm in the USA / UK: Duck Soup, Why Girls Love Sailors.

Naturally, Hats Off and the Rouge Song! [Wink]

The Hollywood Review of '29, which includes the boys scene as magicians and Hollywood Party - egg cracking scene with Lupe Velez, would have been nice short editions on Super 8mm. [Smile]

By the way, how is the source material on the German Release of Dumbo, and does it also come with English or German Titles?
Is the color as good as the Derann prints?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing film on the 10 commandments have found that some of scenes to sync drifts slightly. Print quality fine. Have the 4 parter El Cid looks like a dupe not up to Marketing standard but overall fine. Good cut down and have added some narration at start of film from soundtrack just to set the scene a bit better. Have some Techno shorts and found them again good quality.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2005 02:54 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom are you sure that the film was dubbed in Italy?

Here in Germany we have a company which distributed the most KEN 400 footers. They bought the US-prints and dubbed them and sold them in softplastic-boxes (clam-style) with revised Ken-Artwork. Most prints are very very³ bad. Too loud and out of sync.
Example: "The Sound of Music" with a Julie Andrews who is singing but her mouth doesn´t "work" ..... Derek Flint also out of sync ..... Terrible ...and some mistakes also on the boxes.

-
That remembers me
when UIP titled a video version "Star Treck IV"

-
In the Box: Our Man Flint (1965),
but the title on the box is the german title of the second flint film: In Like Flint, from 1966 !!

[ August 22, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 22, 2005 03:53 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas, great looking artwork though! I have a couple Spanish dubbed features of Abbott & Costello; Jack & The Beanstalk and Captain Kidd. The syncronization is terrible! One day I will have the patience to rerecord the soundtrack. Maybe Rick Skowronek or Pedro will design a crystal sync compatible with NTSC. I'm sure there will be a waiting line of US buyers. Hint, hint, know what I mean! [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC