8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How so obsessed I am with MGM cover!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How so obsessed I am with MGM cover!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 18, 2005 05:39 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all...
After Douglas confirmed me here that The Cincinnati Kid (released by MGM) did come originally with poor artworks cover, i.e plain paper and handwritting!!, I finally managed to make my own cover. But I was so obsessed with the MGM cover style and perhaps I was so influenced by Mike Peckham to put those MGM titles on one shelf!

It is indeed nice to see those MGM in the right order and in one type clamshell case.

-

It looks like other MGM cover, doesn't it? Unfortunatelly, I cannot upload bigger files in this forum. Otherwise you can also read the resume on the backpage cover, which I deliberately made with the MGM language's style too. (e.g. "...the Cincinnati Kids comes 3 parts in Super 8mm sound and color. Ask for them!" [Wink] [Big Grin] )

But probably this would help.

-

Anybody wants to get the bigger files can contact me, I can email that to you

Cheers,

[ November 28, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2005 06:31 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent work Winbert! [Smile]

Did you do this on computer? I have made my own color labels before (mostly from later Derann releases), but nothing professional like this. How did you do it??

Nick.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 18, 2005 06:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terrific job Winbert! I am impressed, looks identical to original MGM artwork.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 18, 2005 07:58 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely perfect, Winbert! Looks even better than the real thing!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 19, 2005 07:17 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... excellent job. Bravo Winbert [Smile] I used to design and print covers for home-burned mix CDs and came up with some nice stuff... but this beats it hands down. (OK, so CDs have nothing to do with films... but hey) [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2005 12:59 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Winbert, great job!

I didn't realise the Cincinatti Kid had been released as an MGM digest, I shall have to add it to my list, can you tell me what the 'M' number is?

One of the things I'm most looking forward to when I get back to the UK next September is getting the MGM's out on the shelf, and projecting them of course [Wink]

Mike [still in Oz]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 28, 2005 10:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,
The Cincinnati Kid is M391, but believe me in the original cover, that number was handwritten!!

It took hours of work to finalise this cover. I first visited websites that have resume of this title. I tried to find the much 1970s resume style, i.e. convincing and repeating words [Big Grin] . From there, I had to find the front picture which was not photo shot, since almost all MGM covers were artpicture (Different with Germany titles which used a lot of photo stocks). The most painful one was to find the closest fonts available in my computer to the MGM's. Sometime if my computer did not have those MGM fonts, I had to "borrow" some fonts (meaning scan, cut and paste) from other MGM cover to create new sentences. From there then I re-arranged those resume to be fit to the space on those three columns on the back page.

Below is my front cover, but I don't know how to reduce the pixel. I used MS Paint and when I assigned to reduce the pixels, it cut the picture. So, I just streched the picture to below 50% and it came with this smudge quality.

-

(I saw some of you could post bigger/better picture, how did you that?)

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC