8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Joys of Mechanical Film Projection (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Joys of Mechanical Film Projection
Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 18, 2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul asked me to post this great photo.

-

Paul Adsett's grandson Jacob enjoying Popeye on the 9.5mm hand cranked Pathe Baby.

Paul,

Wonderful! I think I have the same look when I'm projecting.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 18, 2006 01:23 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pic!

Paul, Is this your halogen converted Pathé?

Doug, you have that same look on your "pointing-at T2" mugshot... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 18, 2006 01:38 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jean-Marc,
Yes it is! There's no way I would run a Pathe Baby with the original mains voltage 'resistance mat' design in the base of the machine. The halogen bulb is a 12 volt 20 watt type used in garden lighting systems, and is driven from a small solid state transformer which fits very nicely into the existing base of the Baby when the old ceramic resitance mat is ripped out, so the appearance of the machine is totally unchanged. I had a couple of special parts made up at a local machine shop in order to mount the halogen lamp into the existing lamp housing. All in all a very successful conversion.
Jacob just loves this machine (he's more impressed with it than the GS1200!), and the Pathe 9.5mm films that you very kindly gave to me on your trip to Orlando last year.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 18, 2006 01:56 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I love it! Inquisitive kid, he's bound to take after gramps. My grandfather was an inventor , musician, artist and I was facinated by his work. Carry on. [Wink]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 18, 2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thing to share with little kids! I just finished a couple of Bugs Bunnies and Mickey Mouses (Mickey Mice?) with my 3 year old; he loves it!

It's a regular event around here. I was griping to myself how little time I got out of my last projecton lamp, but then started to consider how quickly the pile of film boxes develops on the table once we get going here! At that rate I got at least my 50 hours...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful pic Paul!What a great Pathe advert,what a great home movie advert,for that matter! Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 19, 2006 12:04 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
What a fantastic photo! the look on you grandsons face tells it all, you must be a very proud Grandad?
Regards Graham

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2006 07:57 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Kid.....I can tell by the look on his face- HE'S HOOKED FOR LIFE! And so young, too [Big Grin]

Paul, you might as well get him registered on the forum, and a subscription to "Super 8 Today".

[Smile] Great photo, Paul [Smile] .

Nick.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 21, 2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see a hand-cranked GS1200 in this kid's future. [Wink]

I do love the photo, though... there's little I can say except to echo everyone else's sentiments... it's great. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2006 03:37 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Trevor,

a great picture for an advert.

For example:
 -

[Wink] Andreas

[ April 01, 2006, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

David A. Goldfarb
Junior

- posted April 01, 2006 06:15 AM      Profile for David A. Goldfarb   Author's Homepage   Email David A. Goldfarb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Delightful!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 08:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice Andreas! Thank's for your version -Jacob will be thrilled to see it. [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 01, 2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done on poster size, that would be a good pic on the way into the forum of the BFCC.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

What a wonderful picture, I have opened this thread several times just to see it and it has made me smile each time. I think it represents this forum and this wonderful hobby of ours very well. I'll explain;

Most of us will remember growing up in an era where there were more mechanics and fewer electronics, somehow, we had to work harder to make an impact on our immediate environment and the rewards, I think were sometimes greater. I wasn't lucky enough to have a cine projector when I was growing up, not even a toy one but I had a train set and of course Meccano, but best of all was my little Mamod Steam Engine. This little toy was my most prized possesion and I cared for it meticulously, dismantling it and cleaning it and then reassembling it using the 'Mamod' recommended lubricants before filling the water tank and firing up the little meths burner. Over several Christmases and birthdays I collected the various accessories, the grinding wheel for sharpening my pen knife and the little dynamo that lit a very small lamp!

Years later, when I was a teenager and had my first car I spent countless Saturdays under the bonnet, tinkering. One weekend I removed the engine and stripped down the top end, decoking it and fitting it with new valves and valve springs, I took hours grinding them all in and then ultimately tuning the engine so that it ran sweetly. The satisfaction of driving that car to work on the monday morning was extraordinary, hearing the engine purr and feeling the response from the accelerator was ample reward for the hours I had spent over the weekend covered in engine oil and surrounded by odd looking components!

It is a little like the oft used analogy of the view from the top of Snowden, you can get there by train or on foot, either way the views are just the same but somehow, with the satisfactioin of having walked it the views seem all the more impressive.

Which brings me back to young Jacob, he is growing up in a marvelous world, full of new and exciting technologies and oportunities, but he has the advantage of having turned the little handle and listened to the sweetly running mechanism whilst delighting at the image that he has made move across the screen.

I can't imagine life without my computer and the internet or for that matter without DVDs and CDs and everything else that comes with them, but I would equally hate to live in a world where I wasn't able to operate equipment that has an individual charector and responds to me differently every time.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 04, 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Mike, and I agree with your sentiments about things mechanical. It was obvious to me that when Jacob first turned the handle on the little Pathe Baby, that a connection was made in his head- as you said, he was making Popeye throw that can of spinach! This is something that today's DVD crowd will never experience, never mind about appreciate. They are so accustomed to moving images on demand that they give no thought to the history and magic of the film process. Movie projectors let people see, feel, and touch movie magic in a way that DVD will never be able to offer. Of course I'm preaching to the choir here- we all know that! But I think the moral is this. We should all be proud of our movie projectors and film collections- they are a link with the past that will be more and more appreciated by other people as time goes by. I find that friends of mine that I bring to my home are amazed and intrigued with cine equipment and film. Those who have discarded their films and equipment to become exclusively DVD will, I think, surely regret it when they find downstream that the supply of desirable cine equipment and films has dried up.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 04, 2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

You never once mentioned the Mamod's box. Does this mean a year on the road has been a cure? [Eek!]

--------------------
Tony

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 04, 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mamod, you say?!!

I have a stationary engine, the locomotive (#1 Gauge) and a Steam Wagon (That's a truck with a boiler out front for the enlightenment of my own countrymen, I don't think we ever had these here!). My kid and I have a ball with them when it's too bright for projection! (Valuable lesson: "Hot! Don't touch!")

Somehow the little hand held computer games the kids have these days don't seem as appealing, and somehow I doubt they'll still run like new in 30 years like these do either. On the E-bay of 2036, this stuff will be rare and yet probably not wanted regardless! ("Like ewwwww !! That's so pre-direct neuro-interface! Do I have to actually use my eyes and hands?")

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony,

I must confess that I had all the boxes for the accessories, and I used to pack them away diligently after each use. Don't seem to remember having the box for the engine itself though, must have mislaid it after I screwed the engine to that big piece of timber! [Wink]

Steve,

Mine was a stationary engine also but I don't remember now what the model number was, it was a very small one though so probably the smallest of the range. I guess they are deemed to dangerous for kiddies these days with their potential for singing little fingers and setting lite to the table cloth! [Roll Eyes]

I actually set lite to the lawn with mine once, that was during the summer of '76 which us Brits still remember fondly as the 'long hot one' [Smile] .

Paul

Perhaps we should see if it's possible to get Jacobs photo come up on the opening page of the forum, like a kind of Mascot [Big Grin] .

Mike

--------------------

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 05, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AHHHHHHHH good old Mamod. A real boy's toy!

-

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 06, 2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve Klare asked me to post these photos. Here's Steve and his son experiencing the joys of mechanical transportation!

-

-

-

Do the locomotion!

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 06, 2006 10:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the photos, Doug!

There we were a few weeks back and my wife wanted to clean up without "help". She said, "Please keep him occupied a few minutes?" No problem!

This always works!

Fuel is solid camp stove fuel. It stinks up the house a little, but it's much safer than the liquid stuff, especially indoors, especially where the engine is vehicular, especially with inquisitive little hands in attendance.

If it had been dark, a few cartoons on the big screen would have done the trick, but this is always fun!

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 06, 2006 02:09 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Craig,

That looks a bit like mine, except that I don't think it had that extension to the side. My little accessories had to be screwed to the timber I had the machine on and I seem to remember that they were always mounted 'ahead of the machine'.

Steve,

I want one of those, the traction engine that is, not the toddler [Big Grin] !

Mike

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 06, 2006 04:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Toddler"? This guy can run a lot faster than an adult can walk, so we prefer to call him "HEY!!!, COME BACK HERE!!!"

As you can see, he's very interactive. He's toned back his involvement in my movies from the time he wrapped himself up in a 200 footer like an acetate mummy, but now he drags a dining room chair over to the light switch (for altitude) and runs the room lights for me!

Unlike many of the things we pine for on this forum, Mamods are still being made today (the company was revived a few years back), although they cost about 3 times what they did when I bought mine!

http://www.mamod.co.uk/

Ok Mike: Did your engine have the cylinder and flywheel on top of the boiler or down on the baseplate? Did it have a whistle or not?

[ April 06, 2006, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 07, 2006 11:28 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve

We seem to have taken Pauls thread right off topic here so maybe would should open a Mamod thread in the Yak section? Sorry Paul [Roll Eyes]

Any way, back to business: My Mamod was a very litte one, I don´t remember it having that big base plate as shown in the pictures above, I´m pretty sure the base plate was only about a 1/2 inch bigger than the engine all round. There was a fly wheel mounted on the side of the engine and from this I used to run a drive band to my accessories (all of which I kept neatly boxed when not in use [Wink] ).

I don´t think it had a whistle, I´m sure I would have remebered that [Smile] .

I´m getting all nostalgic for it now and will probably have to go onto Ebay when I get back to the UK and see if I can find one so that I can relive old times again [Cool] .

Great to see they´re still being produced, just goes to show there still is a market for this old technology!

Mike

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 07, 2006 11:46 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed!: Kids and Films, Kids and Films!!

Last statement(s) on Mamod: Your engine was Mamod Se1. I bought my first in 1977: Model Se2a. (Stationary with whistle and reversing gear on a large baseplate.)

Se3 was twin cylinder and super-heated: surely the GS-1200 of the Mamod Universe!

The experience and the interest served me very well when I studied Thermodynamics in engineering school!

Loads of trashed Mamods on E-bay if you are looking for a project! (Shouldn't be a big deal for somebody who fixes up old VWs)

Loads of nice ones too!

Ahem: back on topic. (sorry!)

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC