8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Universal features?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Universal features?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2006 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard just recently that Universal (originally castle films) in the early 80's or late 70's, actually released super 8 features (Dracula?) Does anyone have a lisiting of the features that they released? I'd love to hear that the Marx. Brothers "Duck Soup" was among them!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am only aware of 3 titles:
Jet Pilot
The Conqueror
Richard Prior Live in Concert.

As lists go it's not exactly awe inspiring is it!
All the best,
Paul.

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2006 01:14 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other full length editions by Universal 8 were

-Scarface (1932, dir: Howard Hawks; #7807-7811; 5x400')
-Hell's Angels (1930, dir: Howard Hughes; #7800-7806; 7x400')

Osi, the Marx Bros' "Duck Soup" was available in a 4x400' version which should be complete. As far as I know, it was released by Blackhawk.

Best,

Eberhard

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
HI there OSI,I know that CLASSIC HOME CINEMA have serval universal
horror features.
They are THE MUMMY(1932).
THE GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN(1942).
DRACULA(1931).
They do however come at a price.Andy.

Norman Fisher
Junior

- posted September 05, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Norman Fisher   Email Norman Fisher       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard, When did Blackhawk release a 4x400 version of DUCK SOUP? I was a regular customer of their's from 1974-1981 and never saw this listed in the catalogs or flyers. Only the Castle 200 version.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted September 05, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another notable feature is 'Psycho' on Std 8, which Universal permitted Derann to release.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see it in my Blackhawk catalogs either. There is the Universal 8 400ft release in a 1979 Blackhawk catalog.

Was Duck Soup released on Super 8 as a feature ever?

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Nuffer,

Could you verify the info on "Duck Soup"? Even if it isn't a Blackhawk release, I'd still love to buy this feature on Super 8 when I eventually run into it!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2006 01:37 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Derek Simmonds told me that before U8 went under they had decided to start releasing some F/L titles, and when he went over there to buy up some of there old stock he came accross prints of the John Wayne film "Hellfighters" still as they had come from the labs i.e. double run and not split, but they could not sell them to him because of the winding up order (I believe these actual prints had not been paid for), whether any of this title ever made it to the market is doubtful (I've never seen one), but it seems there decision to bring out F/L prints came to late for U8.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Full length prints of Duck Soup
have ciruclated on second hand lists.
But Blackhawk never released it,
because any of the Paramount features
were only released by MCA Universal.
The MCA library was only intended as
a Rental TV Library in which prints
were circulated around the market.
Any full length S-8 Duck Soup prints
must have been under the table.
Animal Crakers was also one of those
releases as well.

Michael

Universal released Hells Angels and Scarface
full lenght.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2006 03:45 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Norman, Osi,

I saw a 4x400' print of "Duck Soup" for sale a couple of years ago, and the seller - I think it was TOP Film/van de Kleut in Amsterdam, but I'm not completely sure about the seller - claimed that it was a Blackhawk release. So while it is not completely sure, if "Duck Soup" was printed by Blackhawk, it is sure that 4x400' prints of this title exist.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard,

Thanks for the reminder. Duck Soup prints
exist. TOP Film/van de Kleut in Amsterdam,
aquired this print from the late Arthur Stephan
of Ann Arbor Michigan, prior to his
passing.

Another title that Arthur had in his collection
was W.C. Fields, Million Dollar Baby.
This and Duck Soup were early Paramount
releases from the early 1930's.

It indeed would be good to know who handled
the production of these two features on
Super 8 Sound.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC