8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » That's Entertainment 3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: That's Entertainment 3
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 08:39 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's Entertainment 3 (1993)
120 mins, 2400ft
Colour, letterboxed widescreen
Available from Derann

-

That's Entertainment 3 was released in 1993, and is the third (and presumably final)in the series of TE films. I think this is also the best of the three, as the film shows many behind the scenes sequences which are of particular interest to movie buffs. Hosted by Gene Kelly, Esther Williams, Mickie Roony, Debbie Reynolds, June Allyson, and Howard Keel, this is another 2 hours of rare musical gems from MGM's vaults, including several Judy Garland sequences which have never be seen before. A musical film collectors dream.
Derann's print is in widescreen (16:9) format (does not require a scope lens), and the masking is particularly effective. Print quality is exceptional, pin sharp with beautiful rich colors (far superior to the dissapointing print quality of TE1). The sound track is mono and of generally good quality. This is another film which is well worth re-recording from the Dolby stereo VHS sound track, as many of the sequences were originally recorded in stereo, and there is a really great end credit sequence of hollywood still photos, backed by a terrific stereo musical score.

Very Highly Recommended
Print A/A
Sound A

[ October 28, 2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2004 07:59 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,
What was the problem with TE1? Does it suffer from sharpness?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 02, 2004 09:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
The TE1 print quality is good. It has plenty of sharpness but, at least on the print that I have, it does not have the rich contrast and deep colors of the TE3 print and some of the colors seem a little washed out. I would say the TE3 print is exceptionally good, needle sharp with beautiful color. Therefore, in comparison, I found TE1 just a little disappointing, but still a pretty good print.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2004 11:39 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to add that my print of TE1 also has a funky ticking sound through out the print via magnetic sound. Have no idea how or what this is. It's not that bad, but it is there. As for the movie, I do like it but do not have the other two in the series.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 07:31 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Thats Entertainment 3 and Im a little dissapointed. While the print that I have is sharp and the colour is good, it does seem to have a fair amount of vertical jitter on it. i.e. the picture moves up and down a bit. While this is common on a lot of film prints, I didnt expect this on a recent print from derann. But its not too bad and is still a good print.

Question
Why did derann make TE2 and TE3 in widescreen format because most of the film is in the old picture format (4:3 or 1.33/1 ?) and so when these sequences are shown they appear in a small box in the centre of the screen. The Super 8 picture is small enough so this makes it even smaller. The print for TE1 isnt like this and I think the overall picture quality is better.

[ November 01, 2005, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Graham Sinden ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 08, 2005 10:32 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham,
I also had vertical instability on this print, but after a couple of years it has smoothed itself out! The reason for the reduced 4:3 masking is so that the widescreen sections can accomodate the full frame width, otherwise they would be chopped off left and right. Personally I like it, as the transition from the reduced 4:3 sequences to the widescreen is quite impressive (as in the 'You walked out of a dream' sequence. Incidentally this film cries out to be re-recorded in stereo. I spent 8 hours re-recording mine and the result is awesome. At least on the prints that I have, the sharpness and color saturation of TE3 print is superb, far better than the somewhat washed out TE1 print.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC