8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Night of the Living Dead (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Night of the Living Dead
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2004 05:20 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several companies/distributors released prints of this 1968 B&W feature in the late 1970s(5X400'reels). I currently own the DiMaio Film Service version. Overall it has very good picture and sound quality and is complete, i'm very happy with it. The print I originally owned was from Red Fox; I was happy with that one also. I would be interested in knowing about other versions, as I remember some were not so good(dark, poor sound,focus, etc.)

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2004 08:13 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-
I purchased my print through Blackhawk Films. It was printed by Hollywood Film Exchange. The first print I got was horrible- it was washed out, too bright. On the replacement print, the contrast was good but several reels had multiple scratches. Overall, I give the quality a C plus.

P.S.- Joe- On your print, does any other company logo come up on the screen before the movie begins and the picture opens on the road and says Image Ten Productions?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2004 09:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick, no logos before the film starts on my version.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Pierre Jean F. Dupuis
Junior

- posted November 30, 2004 03:29 PM      Profile for Pierre Jean F. Dupuis   Author's Homepage   Email Pierre Jean F. Dupuis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bought an American print from Derann last year. Someone unfortunately replaced all the original leader with a 10 to 1 countdown strip so I have no idea who released it. Came in a soft box for seven or eight spools (print is only on six - blue - spools) that previously I've only seen used for '2001 a Space Odyssy'.

Print quality is fair but a little on the dark side in places. Contrast is reasonable.

--------------------
-

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 02:21 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an original Niles Film Products print, mounted on two 800' and one 600' reel. It's a little washed out and the source material was certainly splicy, but I bought it in 1979 when I lived in the same town as NFP and it's like traveling back to my youth when I watch it.

A print just sold on Ebay for over $150! I wonder which company it was from. [Confused]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 16, 2005 02:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've noticed that this is one of the few "old time" B/W super 8 features that ACTUALLY continues to go up in value!
I've seen one print, (I think) made by Niles that has been on and off on ebay, and it has went up in price each time. I've never actually seen the film, but it certianly has a well earned cult status!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kurt- Welcome to the forum!

I have a question about your Niles print. After the front leader on reel #1, just before the movie starts and that "IMAGE TEN" title appears, is there another company logo that appears? I remember when I saw this at the movies way back in the day, and also numerous times in the 70's on TV, before that first scene on the road, there was a distribution logo, accompanied by some wierd music (like how most film company logos appear before the first scene of the movie fades in). I have been trying to see if any of the many super 8 companies that released this ever included this.

Thanks in advance for checking!

Hi Osi-

You are right about cult movies rising in price. There is nothing like watching an old classic horror movie like this on film. And being in black and white, you don't have to worry about fading [Smile] .

Nick.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2005 03:25 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I'll look and get back to you tomorrow.

--Kurt

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 08:55 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nick,

My Niles print just begins with the Image Ten title. It's also somewhat blown out. This problem was chronic with Niles' stuff. Their 16mm prints (I own "My Man Godfrey" and "The 39 Steps") look pretty darn good, but when they reduced to super 8, both picture and sound suffered.

Still, it's a great way to watch the film -- even though Elite's laser and DVD versions are amazing.

Marc Marti
Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2005 10:11 AM      Profile for Marc Marti   Email Marc Marti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought recently on ebay a print from "Hollywood Film Exchange". Contrast was not bad, but the sharpness... mhhh... my DVD copy is far better.

--------------------
Marc

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you the rarest of rare "cult classics" that I've seen on super 8 ....

FREAKS!!

Classic Todd Browning feature from 1933 (I think), which actually starred real circus freaks in the movie. It's a bizzarre and WONDERFULLY DISTURBING film!!

I've seen only ONE print of this in the two years since I got back into collecting, and it sold for a little over 300.00 dollars, and that, for a super 8 copy! I'd love a print of that one!!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 17, 2005 08:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Freaks," now that's one movie I'd love to see! (Never have!) Incidentally there's a 16mm print of it on eBay right now, I think it's the second one I've seen... but to have this on super-8, why, that would be almost as good as a super-8 print of "Song of the South." [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 17, 2005 10:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Song of the South?! Now there's one you won't see Disney releasing anytime soon, in any format! Such is our "politcally correct" world of today!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 17, 2005 11:38 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, I know... but I've seen a 16mm print of SOTS on eBay. Sold for more than $8,000!!! [Eek!]

And for the record, the movie is available in the UK on PAL VHS videotape... it's here in the States that Disney is keeping it under wraps [Mad]

--------------------

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but check out this shameless guy offering VHS and DVD of the film here in the U.S. He's really asking for trouble. I know -- I worked for Disney Home Video for four years [Eek!]

http://www.songofthesouthdvds.com/dvd.htm

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 18, 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am aware of that site, too... [Smile] and I agree... it's a shame Disney is too chicken to just release this movie and be done with it, and let everyone decide for themselves whether it's racist or not... but offering pirated copies of the movie is still a crime, regardless of what the reason may be. [Mad]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 18, 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, and it's never the quality you really want, like those jerks who bring cam-corders into theaters and pawn off thier videos on the internet!

Besides, I've seen SOTS, and there's no real racism to it. I don't remember Uncle Remus going ape over Watermelon or Fried Chicken!! or going around going "Yassah Massah!"

Hey, what was the topic we were originally talking about? I'm laughing as I write, "I've honestly forgot!"

Oh yeah , Dead stuff!! (giggle)

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 19, 2005 08:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lads, got words from insiders at BVHE. "Song of the South" might actually be released on DVD in the Fall of 2006 to mark the film's 60th anniversary. They're still weighing the whole operation. They don't wanna miss the '60th' marketing opportunity and think that, since the movie's been shelved for so long, people will actually be willing to buy the "last unavailable Disney classic". They might consider having a major african-american star introducing the DVD, telling the whole story, putting it back into perspective.
I saw the film again a few years ago (I had an old french VHS then) and, apart from a few cute animated scenes, the whole picture was rather boring...
Now, back to dead people... Bring out your dead... Bring out your dead...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite right. I don't think any of the "Dead" super 8 prints are on par with the "restored" videos. HOWEVER -- I still get that same special chill watching my slightly blown-out and muffled print that I did when I was a kid at the drive-in. Anybody ever seen the Niles 16mm version? Is the contrast better?

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2005 01:57 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kurt-

You mentioned "My Man Godfrey" a few threads back. I bought a used copy of this feature a couple of years ago. It came in plain white boxes with only the reel #'s stamped on them. I could'nt figure out who released it. But it sounds like about the same quality as your print. The black and whites in my print arent bad, but focus is somewhat soft, which is mostly noticable in the long shots, whith lots of small details. Still, its nice to have this William Powell classic on super 8.

Oh yeah, back to NOTLD-

Oops- just remembered something else-

Osi, you mentioned a rare cult classic on super 8- "Freaks".

There's another cult classic that rarely appears on the super 8 used lists-

The German classic "M" with Peter Lorre.

Now, back to NOTLD...........I forgot what I was gonna say [Confused] .

Nick.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2005 08:59 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I met Russ Streiner ("Johnny") at the Hollywood Collector's Show in LA last year, and he was terrific. I told him about my super 8 print and how I'd originally seen it at the drive-in when I was nine. He apologized for warping my mind, but I thanked him for it!

And, of course, he signed my picture "They're coming to get you...Kurt!"

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2005 01:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awsome!
I've always wanted to meet some of the original cast. I keep saying I'm gonna go to one of those conventions when they come over here on the east coast, but I always find out about them right after the event [Frown] .

Hey, this is like "NIGHT OF THE LIVING POST" ......

This thread appeared to have died back in November '04, but came back to life in August '05! Maybe when the Space Shuttle returned to earth this month, it may have brought back large traces of radiation or something! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Thanks for bringing this interesting topic back up Kurt, and thanks for starting it Joe!

Nick.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 21, 2005 07:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, your right, I saw a print of "M" on ebay a few month's back, went for a good deal of money. I hope another turns up. In many ways, Peter Lorre was never better. In many ways, his creepiest role!

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 21, 2005 09:50 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... Look at the man's eyes, though. He was BORN to be creepy. [Eek!] [Cool]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 22, 2005 01:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh eh heh eh eheheh eh heh heh heh heh!

"Maybe I can use a Dog's brain, instead."

I didn't know leopold, could dance ..."

Excepts from a Daffy Duck cartoon in which Lorre plays mad scientist!

Now, with all I've read about NOLD, I really want to pick up a copy of this film, and sice it was shot in black and white in the foist place, I'm not missing anything! Are there some "edited versions" out there of this title? If so, I don't want to know about them. Which companies released full feature prints of this "Night" title?

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC