8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Hitchcock's "Vertigo"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitchcock's "Vertigo"
Stefano Boni
Junior

- posted December 30, 2004 06:15 PM      Profile for Stefano Boni   Email Stefano Boni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a review for the Super 8 release of "Vertigo" available from Classic Home Cinema? I was told to look for the Film for the Collector magazine, but I do not get this publication.

Can anyone here tell me anything about this print, and/or how I may locate a review of it?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2004 08:00 PM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stefano,

We have this imported print which arrived mute. Soundtrack has been recorded from the DVD. Picture Quality is good, but not excellent. The negative or print used for the duplication of the S8 print was relatively good with a few splices and glitches throughout. The physical mag tracks are somewhat problematic to produce a top notch stereo track, but a mono track on the main stripe can be produced with ease. Contrast and saturation of color is all fairly good and not a bad addition to any collection. Hope this helps. Prints can be obtained from Classic Home Cinema in the UK.

LA

Stefano Boni
Junior

- posted December 30, 2004 11:04 PM      Profile for Stefano Boni   Email Stefano Boni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lance, and thank you for the response.

Does this print have the Paramount logo at the start? How would you rate the color? Is the picture comparable to the restored version, and do you happen to know what the source material for this print is? I want to know if a studio print was used as the master material or if it is simply a dupe from a release print, with splices (missing dialouge) and wear throughout.

Thanks again.

Stefano Boni
Junior

- posted March 08, 2006 12:09 AM      Profile for Stefano Boni   Email Stefano Boni   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone else has viewed/reviewed this print. I am curious to know if the original tiles/logos are there, and what the color quality is like?

Lance Alspaugh
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2006 12:17 AM      Profile for Lance Alspaugh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stefano,

Sorry for the very late reply on your message. To answer your question, it appears a 35mm theatrical re-release print was used to create the S8 version of this imported print. It also had some splices in the 35mm print and these must be adjusted when re-recording the sound track. They may actually have an English version prerecorded now of this title, but did not when we acquired it. As for the Logo, it is Universal Pictures. As I said, the Mono Track is fairly stable and can hold a nice sound from the DVD. Hope this helps.

Klaus Kirchner
Junior

- posted April 19, 2007 03:08 AM      Profile for Klaus Kirchner   Email Klaus Kirchner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stefano,

I bought a used print of "Vertigo" a year ago. The to me the picture quality is really good - nice colours and good contrast with good sharpness. Although the picture ratio is 4:3 nothing misses, because it is the open-matte version of the vistavision print. To prove this, one can see on the top third and lower third of the picture every ca. 5 minutes signs for the projectionist where to mask the picture. And as a bonus for german "Vertigo" fans the german sound version is taken from the original sound version from the 1984 rerelease of the movie and not the new 5.1 version, with new voices and additional sound effects.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 19, 2007 06:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, is this released with a German soundtrack, or is it issued without any soundtrack at all?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Klaus Kirchner
Junior

- posted April 26, 2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Klaus Kirchner   Email Klaus Kirchner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,

hard to say. Mine was offered in german and a few years ago some dealers in germany hat Vertigo on their lists. But I think the origin of the copies was actually germany and some of them were sold without sound to be rerecorded in other langugages.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2010 07:00 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Reel Image has a review of Vertigo (feature) in the latest issue. Is this the same print from the same neg as the one reviewed here a few years back?

I am interested in this print and would love some more comment on the picture and sound quality. Is the picture slightly masked now to allow for the varying Vista Vision aspect ratio of the full frame original?

I saw the 1984 re-release at the cinema with Universal titles and whilst a good image, I recall the colours being a little muted.

Any comments?

David

Daniel Aveline
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2010 11:33 AM      Profile for Daniel Aveline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Stefano,
I bought a print of Vertigo directly from Germany.Unfortunately
there is not the Paramount/Vistavision logo,otherwise the quality is very good,with very nice colors.It is worth buying it.

--------------------
D Aveline

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2017 01:02 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...here we are in 2017 acting like kids trading Hockey cards. Oops, the Canadian in me...That's why I got back into this. I now have the print . No words to describe except FANTASTIC. Stunning color, Fantastic stereo recording! THIS film , according to Sight and Sound is #1.. Pretty hard to do, pick the best film of all time . The movie came from The Reel Image. To Me, Worth every penny.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ August 06, 2017, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2017 03:48 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Forgot to mention the print is mounted on 7 X 600' reels ( though not full ) and is acetate stock.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ August 06, 2017, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 06, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Superb print Burton! [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks nice! I wonder what the polyester version looks like. Anyone have a new print they bought in the last year?

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 09:49 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks really excellent! I can say that even having recently viewed the Blu Ray. I'd still love to have a super 8 print like that. On the sound, most of the film is mono, really. The 5.1 on the Blu Ray has nothing I could detect on the rear and only some of the orchestral track comes out left and right. Mostly mono. This is due to checkered history of the elements of the film. So a mono print isn't really a loss.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 01:06 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, believe me, worth it . The order of this print from Steve Osborne and The Reel Image proved to be a labor of love. The print arrived with a stereo soundtrack recording : The jewel amongst my meager collection...worth every penny.

[ September 06, 2017, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 03:32 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a really beautiful print Burton, that's for sure!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC