8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Magic Sword...Red Fox Feature

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Magic Sword...Red Fox Feature
Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2005 05:52 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to comment on this, one of my favorite childhood films. Bert I. Gordon's 1961 feature THE MAGIC SWORD. Originally, the working title was "Sir(or Saint)George and the Seven Curses", it starred the great Basil Rathbone, Gary Lockwood, Estelle Winwood and Anne Helm...and ya gotta love Liam Sullivan's stiff performance as 'Sir Branton'; and a notable appearance by "Vampira" herself, Maila Nurmi, as the hag. I bought the RED FOX 5X400' super 8mm magnetic sound color print when it was first available in the late 1970s for the going price of $174.99. The picture and sound quality are O.K., although the color seems faded and was never very good even when the print was new. A nice "sword and dragon"(a TWO HEADED dragon!) film that is fun to watch, although there are a few scenes that may be too scary for small children. I thought at the time(and still do)that this was a good title for a super 8 release; as fantasy films always hold their popularity. The original music score by Richard Markowitz is very memorable, and stayed with me all through the years from the time I first heard it. Although I loved all of Bert I. Gordon's "BIG" films: e.g. The Cyclops, The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast, etc.; this is my personal favorite. Well publicized back when it was released in theaters in the pages of "Famous Monsters of Filmland" magazine. A nice fantasy film addition to any super 8 collection. *Updated: 8/3/2005...MGM has released a widescreen version DVD of this film with excellent color and sound* [Smile]

[ August 09, 2005, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2005 04:06 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink]

[ April 29, 2010, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Joe Taffis ]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 22, 2005 06:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed this movie a few times on eBay. It never quite seemed to attract much interest, i.e. bids. [Cool] I wonder which release print it was?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2011 01:34 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the MAGIC SWORD Directed by Bert I. Gordon. Starring Basil Rathbone, Gary Lockwood, Estelle Winwood! It was 5X400 reel Super 8 color sound Red Fox release. The print was tinted but it was a nice viewing for such an old film. A classic film that story went like this. The son of a sorceress, armed with weapons, armour and six magically summoned knights, goes on a quest to save a princess from a vengeful wizard. Wow! what a classic and in the end Patrick's faith in God save them not magic. It is the legend of Saint George and the Dragon. And sexy Anne Helm would make any Saint fall down WoW!

In this fun-filled adventure-fantasy, a rookie knight embarks upon a valiant quest to save a princess who has been captured by a malicious magician. Along the way he must battle the usual assortment of dragons, ogres and other mythical beings.The Magic Sword might seem a bit childish and hokey but it's actually quite a bit of fun fantasy. It has some scarry moments for the youngest and could cause nightmares for the more impressionable but with all the incredible advances in special effects the kiddies are exposed to these days they will they will still enjoy this, I loved it !! It was released in 1962 and was reviewed by Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine the same year. It was directed by Bert I. Gordon and stars Gary Lockwood (2001 A Space Odyssey '68), Richard Kiel (The Spy Who Loved Me '77, Moonraker '74, Anne Helm (Follow That Dream '61), Basil Rathbone (The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Maila (Vampira) Nurmi. This is probably the best thing Bert I. Gordon ever did. Bert directed Begining of the End and Earth vs the Spider. Later in his career he did Food of the Gods and Empire of the Ants.Much of the film had a red color all over anyway especially in George's foster mother's lair etc which is most of the movie.  -  -
 -

--------------------
John

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 07, 2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanx for the review!

I hope that you find a great color print of this, as I have seen some great prints of this (with decent color). This was just about Basil Rathbone's last dignified role. No matter what the film he did, he always gave it his best and brought up whatever he was in a notch or two!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 20, 2011 10:14 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have seen beautiful prints of this movie but 30 years ago. And now on DVD. But I would feel it was a blessing to find anything these days with everyone collecting like crazy. Anyway I'm happy with a piece of the history.

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC