8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 2 x 400ft Digest.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 2 x 400ft Digest.
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 05, 2005 03:14 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two 17-minute parts - Super 8 Colour/Sound - Originally distributed by Walton Films LTD. For; RRP £42.12 [Discount £31.50 each].

quote:
It’s one of the most lively, tuneful and downright happy musicals ever made! The editing is beautiful, the colour gorgeous and the sound clear as a bell - but, like some earlier MGM releases, the print definition could be a lot sharper. In addition, for some strange reason the last 30 seconds suddenly reverts to CinemaScope so that everyone appears rather slim [ presumably this is done to take in the whole of the final title, but the switch over cuts in too soon]. However, the musical and visual content are so delightful that this two parter is certainly recommended for all collectors of musicals.

Bill Davison, Movie Maker - September 1980

As Bill said, this print could be a lot sharper but the colours, even now, some 25 years later are beautifully vivid and the sound is absolutely cracking. The whole thing works very well in this condensation - even if you haven’t seen the full film and thus aren’t familiar with the story line, it is all made clear and is easy to follow. My favourite scene has to be the ‘Pole Cat’ song where the brothers are dancing in the snow whilst collecting firewood, how they managed to film this with out someone being seriously injured with a stray axe blow I can’t imagine! It really is quite stunning.

Mike [Smile]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 08, 2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry mike,mine has faded badly.i still love this digest thou.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2006 01:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the whole feature as released by Derann and it's a real cracker. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2006 05:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
well done kev.i love this movie too.the digest was fairly well edited but it just im sure cant compare with deranns feature.is the feature in scope or flat or both?.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hi kev,does it have the stereo soundtrack or is it mono.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2006 03:52 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy, Its a Flat version slightly masked but yes its in stereo.
It's also one of the first run prints they did on Kodak LPP stock and has a very nice colour rendition. Much nicer than the later Agfa prints which were a bit contrasty and blue looking. I have it on 2 x 1200 ft spools.
Nice print all round. [Smile] Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
so howard keel&co.blasts those terrfic song and dance numbers out in glorious stereo eh.you luckly man.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2006 06:44 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep Andy, and its not a bad recording either. [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
did you re record the soundtrack from the dvd or was the super8 version in stereo anyway.andy.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 10, 2006 03:25 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats how it came from Derann. It was a s/h copy so It could have been recorded by someone else but I dont think this was the case.

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC