8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 400ft Digest

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 400ft Digest
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2005 04:36 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Rocky Horror Picture Show - 17 Minutes - Super 8 Colour/Sound - Originally distributed by Mountain Films Ltd, West Central Street, London. For RRP £39 [Discount £28.50]

quote:
…our very own Charles Gray [remember him in ‘The Devil Rides Out’] is narrator as he talks to the camera very straight facedly anad recalls the dark stormy night when clean-living Brad Majors [Barry Bostwick] and his innocent fiancee Janet [Susan Sharandon] get a flat tyre and ask for help at a nearby old mansion. The door creaks open and they are ushered in by a mad-cap butler, Riff Raff - played by Richard O’Brien, who also wrote this zany concoction. The great hall door opens to reveal a collection of guests dancing ’The Time Warp’.

Brad and Janet back away only to come face to face with Dr. Frank-N-Furter who is wrapped in a swirling black cloak, this is whipped open, ‘flasher’ fashion, to reveal that the doctor is wearing only frilly panties, girdle, suspender belt and high heels - a far cry indeed from the conventional Dr F as personified by the respectable Peter Cushing. Frank-N-Furter then launches into the song ‘I’m a Sweet Transvestite from Transexual Transilvania’ which continues:

I’ve been making a man
With blond hair and a tan,
So come up to the Lab
And see what’s on the slab…

The muscle bound creation is called Rocky Horror [Peter Hinwood] and soon the decadent Doctor marries him in a bizarre ceremony. This leads to the even more weird finale with Dr F on the stage of his own theatre; its setting resembles the familiar radio mast of the old RKO pictures logo. By now everyone is dressed in black stockings and suspenders as they sing ‘Don’t dream it - be it. Dr F is shot with a ray gun and his creation, Rocky, climbs to the top of the mast with the poor Doc hanging round his neck - as the Kong like lyric continues ‘Whatever Happened to Fay Wray’!

The whole thing is quite outrageous, but if you like the feature, then you will go for this. It is a far cry indeed from the usual bootlace fair and is definitely not suitable for showing to aunt Mary! Good print quality with belting sound.

Bill Davison - Movie Maker September 1980

-

Unfortunately, my copy doesn’t have the belting sound that Bill described nor is the print that sharp, it is a little on the dark side as well but that said, it is still watchable and a great teaser for the feature. I would like to have seen more of Meat Loafs excellent ‘Bless my Sole’ routine as he drove round the lab on his motor bike - one of the high spots of the film for me.

A great and unusual film that is probably even more outrageous now than it was when it was first released!

Mike [Smile]

[ April 18, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike Peckham ]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 06, 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the full feature again just recently and, wow, the music is still great and the plot at times very funny. [Smile] But, I must correct you about one thing, it's not Bless My Sole that Eddie's singing, it's Bless My Soul [Big Grin]

Hot patootie! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2005 09:24 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops! Thanks Jan!! [Big Grin]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 06, 2005 09:41 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, you probably just had tapping feet on your mind, that music does make one's feet tap after all [Smile]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 06, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a while since I ran my print but I recall it being a bit soft, but with pretty good sound. When Derann were releasing 20th Century Fox musicals, I suggested it to Derek and he said he would consider it but I didn't hear anything subsequently. It would not have appealed to the same audience but I thought the cult appeal of the film might cause it to sell in reasonable numbers. You could also get a long trailer on Super 8 that's good quality and well worth having. My copy was a Canterbury release but I think it may have also appeared on a trailer reel - maybe one of the Thunderbird reels.

Adrian

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O'Brian,I think he is an NZer???Surely Tim Curry was the best Dr F ever! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 14, 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor,

Last night I went to see the new musical "Monty Python's Spamalot", based on their Holy Grail film. Tim Curry is just great as King Arthur!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 14, 2005 08:19 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He certainly is a very good actor with an amazing onscreen presence, even in small roles (such as a butler-or-something-like-that in one of the Home Alone movies, I don't remember exactly - or a jewel thief in a 1997 TV movie taking place on the Titanic). It's a shame he's so overlooked, he never could shake off the image that the Rocky Horror Picture Show gave him. But he delights me everytime I see him in a movie. [Smile]

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 16, 2014 06:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received my copy from Perry's for a tenner [Wink] [Razz]
Have to say, original box, great image and very good sound throughout. Its quite well edited too, first time ive seen this cut down so I am well pleased with this one. Makes selling off some of my prized trailers well worth it.
Keep those lists coming [Big Grin] [Wink]

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 16, 2014 07:50 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom - I don't suppose yours is low fade is it, or £10 would be an astonishingly low price? I've never seen or heard of a low fade print of this - despite certain Ken releases making it onto Agfa stock - so I'm guessing that the best anyone could hope for is SP.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian, Rob at retrovision had one for sale earlier in the year, it went for £50.00 +, from what I remember, he also had a low fade 400ft of close encounters too, also went for good money.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 16, 2014 04:01 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'll pop some pictures here within a few days, the blues and yellows are all there, my guess is that its SP, ive never really looked at my prints to see what they are,generally Paul foster always lists his titles with the stock type so i go by that,
is there something on the leader i can take a look at to find out?
either way i am very pleased with this one, my guess is its not been run many times as there isn't a mark on it and the original clam case, (with the 20th century fox raised logo on the inside left) is in excellent condition with no splices and front leader and tail are all intact.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2014 07:34 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you'll find the stock type on the leader, only the Lab that made the print (mine has Maritz Labs) but it would be between the perforations. Again mine just shows 2S, I haven't shown it for a while but the colour bars on the leader look good. I bought it for £5 at a BFCC many years ago.

I couldn't resist running it after posting the above and the colour still looks excellent, blues are very bright and flesh tones are right. If you can check the print those seems to be the things to look for.

[ December 17, 2014, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Brian Fretwell ]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 17, 2014 01:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all cleaned up again to get the last of the dirt off and here is my print,
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

All in all, one of the best £10's I have ever spent on super 8, Cheers Ian, already waiting for the next list

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 18, 2014 07:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I see what you mean regarding a bargain for £10! Probably the box alone is worth that! It looks very nice - perhaps slightly 'warm' but Ken prints were sometimes like when released. I don't know if you would get such dark blacks with SP, so I think yours could be is Agfa. Brian said his print states 2S, which is a type of Agfa. You can check the sprocket edge to see the markings but they are so small on Super 8 that you'll probably need a magnifying glass.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 19, 2014 07:29 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Adrian, i'll take a look later.

David Coppola
Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2014 08:37 AM      Profile for David Coppola     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What scenes were in this digest? I saw this for sale wayyy back in the early 80s and was always curious. I had gotten out of collecting by that time.

Was this one of Ken Films last digests?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC