8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Ice Station Zebra 3 x 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ice Station Zebra 3 x 400ft
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2005 01:02 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ICE STATION ZEBRA - three 17 - minute parts Super 8 Colour/Sound. Originally distributed by Walton Films Ltd. 87 Richford Street, London for; £42.12 each. ( Discount £31.50 each ).

quote:
Many of Alastair Macleans screen adaptations are now available on 8mm. The latest being this three part condensation from MGM’s 1968 epic starring Rock Hudson - one of the few remaining survivors of the Hollywood ‘star’ system. This yarn was directed by John Sturges ( of ‘The Great Escape’ fame) and was originally shot in one lens cinerama. Well we’ve lost the latter, but retained plenty of action in this entertaining ‘Boys Own’ saga…

… An entertaining tale which will please any audience. Very good print quality, excellent sound.

Bill Davison - Movie Maker November 1980

To begin with this seems a fairly straightforward tale of adventure, our heroes rush off to the Frozen Ice Station to salvage a 16mm film of crucial importance to International security. The Russians are also anxious to get their hands on this film [remember The Cold War was on]. Sadly it seems the film is simply a series of still photographs of military bases taken from a satellite and not a priceless pre-striped Kodachrome print of ‘The Wizard of Oz’, but none-the-less important to Rock and the boys.

I think a little too much of the story is sacrificed in the edit to make this cut down flow properly, I am still puzzling over some of the strange goings on towards the end that needed further explanation. But for all that it is great entertainment. Good sound and definition, my copy has just started to show a little redness, not so much that it worries me though!

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 28, 2005 01:18 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike, i did have this one a few years back but the colour began to go and ive yet to find another one with good colour sadley. [Confused]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 28, 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike & Tom,

I recently picked up a print that still has very nice color, but I'll be damned if I understand the ending (never saw the full length) and exactly who is on which side!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, it was a picture with an anti climatic ending.

Both teams rush to the north pole, they look at one another and then turn
back to the subs. I guess they realized that it did not make sense to begin WWIII over an intelligence film with cold war secrets about US and Russia from a fallen satellite?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC