8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » The Island. U8 2x400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Island. U8 2x400ft
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 21, 2005 12:53 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is based on the Michael Critchen novel, a sort of pirates meet the 20th century movie.
Michael Cain Stars as a reporter who goes looking for some missing people and gets caught up in lost colony of pirates from the 17th century who insist they are buccaneers and not pirates. It all begins at night with some friends on a fishing trip, during a little partying into the night one of them spots a covered boat, as they pull it in out jumps a merry crew of pirates, one plants and axe into the head of one of the crew, another slits open the gut of another, mayhem at it's most gory and sets up the film to come.
With a brief intro to Michael Caine we next see him being taken to the unexplored island with his young Son. The plane takes them as far as it can and from there they take a speed boat. Spotting a girl floating in the sea they go to investigate only for his son to be pulled into the water as he tries to help her and M cain is Confronted by one of the pirates who climbs onboard. After shooting dead the pirate Caine during the struggle is knocked unconcious as they both fall. When he regains conciousnes he finds himself and his son Captured and tied up. A women is introduced to him by the gang of Buccaneers who explain he has widowed her by killing her man and will now make babies with her, oh well, could be worse i spose.
The process also begin to turn his son against him by brainwashing him into thinking he is one of them. As the movie rolls Caine eventualy tries to escape, spoting a speed boat coming in he notes that the driver is a friend, or so he thought as he turns to the Buccaneers and comments,"i thought i told you to kill him". Oh dear, [Confused]
Following a conversation we next see some U.S rescue or navel team turn up only to find the Buccaneers camp empty except for a lonley girl sat on a chair with a cheesey smile, as they approach the buccaneers all jump out. Its one of those,"i never expected that" moments (not)as we see the entire team wiped out with knifes slitting throat, carotts (or carrots) and stabing, all in all another grisley and detailed scene. Moving on with (in my opinion) some eratic editing in this edition, we see caine now being helped to escape by one of the looney groups boys, then,suddenly, with the help of the woman who's man he shot. [Confused] It is a little quickly and abrubtly cut here.
Now we are on board the U.S ship as the crew are confussed with there rescue boats approaching. Little do thay know there few men are being forced to drive by the buccanneers who have disguised themselves with the dead mens uniform. As the little boat pulls alongside they murder there driver and gun down the crew, once aboard they slaughter the remainder of the crew mercilesly in there usual manner. They even manage to make a small explosive with what appears to be a fire eqtinguiser, dam clever these blokes, specialy when they are suppose to have been locked away from civilsation for 300 years [Big Grin]
Mr Caine now swimming to the ship to rescue his son soon climbs aboard and wow [Eek!] perches himself next to the ships rear machine gun. Watching the buccanneers helping themselves to the ships supplies on the rear helipad Caines leaps up, uncovers the huge gun and in great boy's own action blasts every one,(except for two)in what was at the time (1980) a pretty disgusting scene of sheer blood filled violence.
E X C E L L E N T. [Big Grin] Its only a movie.
In the fianle we now see Caine going for the final rescue as the last Chief Bucanneer gets a flare in the gut. THE END, FIN.
Over the edited original end titles we see the rescue copter coming in.
All in all a scilly film but for action its ok. Depending on your tastes there is a fair bit of action in here. The editing by U8 is a little bit eratic in places but i think theyve concentrated on the gruesome action. Not a film for a weak stomach but all in all a good old boys Yarn with a good star and some familiar British faces.
The colour and print is actually very good and on this print so far, no fade at all. As this film seems to sell quite cheap, (ive seen it for £18 recently) i'd say its a good buy.
Anyone who says the film is too far fetched lets also mention, Batman, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Jurassic park. All great films and ENTERTAINMENT which is what movies are about. [Wink]
Go get it.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2005 09:44 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great review Tom, I have always wondered what the film is about...and wondered even more, what the digest contains..great job! rob

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 22, 2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Rob, much appreciated, Wasnt too sure if i made it too long [Big Grin]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 05, 2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
another very good review tom;i once again agree with your comments.andy.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC