8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Island of Dr. Moureau (super 8 optical sound)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Island of Dr. Moureau (super 8 optical sound)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 13, 2005 03:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This has always been a favorite of mine, and having screened my print of this for friends last night, I thought I would make this my next optical feature review.

Micheal York and fellow passenger in a lifeboat, wash ashore on Dr. Moureau's Island. As York (Braddock) searches the Island, his castaway friend is dragged away screaming, and soon York is also running from, so far, something unseen. he falls into a manmade pit.

Upon awaking, he meets Dr. Moureau and his trapper assistant, played by Nigel Davenport. (You'll have to excuse me, as for some reason, I can't remember all the names) upon feeling better, he then meets the stunning "daughter" of Dr. Moureau, played by the stunning Barbera Carrera, at her most beautiful.
There's instant attraction between them. Braddock is interested in Moureau's work, but is desirous to leave, so he goes about repairing his boat, (with frequent visits from Carrera, (whoo Hoo!! ... sorry) All the while he is seeing more and more of the gross and grosteau creatures of the Island which appear to be half-man, healf-beast. He later discovers that this is exactly what they are. However, it is very Hard for Moureau to keeps these creatures in line ...

M : What is the law?
C (creature) To walk on two feet, that is the law!
M : WHAT IS THE LAW?!
C : To not hunt man.
M : One of you has broken that law!
C : To the house of pain!!

As Moureau begins to lose more and more control over the creatures, Braddock decides that it is time to leave the Island in his dingy, but with Dr. Moureau's daughter! The good Dr. stops him with a paralyzing drug, and chooses to make Braddock his latest experiment. Before, when he did his work, it was taking beasts and making them human, but in this case, he was taking a human and making him a beast, thusly enabling him (The Dr.) to find out from Braddock what the transformation is doing to him.

His trapper can no longer take it anymore, and tries to free Braddock, but is shot in the back by the good Dr. The beasts, outside the compound see this. The Third law is "not to shed blood", but the Dr. himself has done so! They encircle the compound and begin to try to break in. When the Dr. tries to retrieve the dead body of his trapper, he is confronted by the beasts, who attack him for his killing, and end up killing the Doctor.

Meanwhile, the now half beast Braddock is freed by Carrera, and they bluff thier way out of the compound, as the beasts destroy the house of pain and are destroyed in the process by the wild animals in there. All but one, who chases Braddock and company to the boat and, after a terrific struggle, manage to defeat the beast and leave the Island together.

Braddock wakes up to see that he has transformed back and now sees a ship! They are rescued!

This is a film that I enjoy more everytime I watch it. But this film was certianly a puzzler. I had an earlier print of this, which was fine, but when I bought another print, as the first one was getting a little worn, the newer print also had about 5 or 6 minutes more, all involving the relationship between Braddock and Carerra. This is only a guess, but I'm betting my new print is a British made print of this film.

Why? Because Britian has less severe censorship than america, and while the "sex scene" was suggestive, (you really didn't see anything), therev was no real reason to cut the whole relationship, as it does take much from some of the characters reasons for doing what they did. The sound, however, is quite good. So is the color, and the sharpness is your standard excellent airline print quality. I would highly suggest that if you put this film in your collection, try to get a print from Britian of this, as you will get a more satisfying film.

Now, back to the film. In the original story, Dr. Moureau's daughter was actually his most sucessful animal experiment, complete transformation! Her being transformed from a panther is only subtilly suggested here, (Her always with a ocelot under her arm, stating that she has always lived on the Island and could never dream of living anywhere else, her scarve being found in an open cell in the "House of Pain"), and her "cat-like rubbing up against Braddock. It must be good to be an actor, huh, York?

Also only quickly hinted of in the film is that the first beast captured, which he see's the next morning, is his castaway partner, noted by the long stare at each other, a note of recognition!

The make-up job on the creatures is done by none other than the man who did all the "planet of the apes", and is more than adequete to the task. Though Stan Winstons make-up in the 1996 re-make is even better, the 1977 version holds up much better in storyline, (and Marlon Brando was just a little too old to play the Dr. in the 1996 remake.) By the way, it should be noted that "Island of Dr. Moureau" was orginally first put on the screen in 1933 (I believe) as "Island of Lost Souls" A very good film in it's own right, yet I believe that this 1977 version still is the best!

There are great scenes thru-out this film. Burt lancaster is an excellent Dr. Moureau, York is great as Braddock, though I would have to say the cave sequences, (To the House of Pain!!) are a big highlight. I do feel the best scene is in the last reel, where Braddock, now half beast, tries with tears, to hold onto his memories and retain his humanity.

There's an obvious love for this film in me, as I'm sure that you can see, and is a prized selection in my optical super 8 collection.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2015 08:53 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen the Marketing cut-down?

I just watched this on Netflix, and it claims it is the "director's cut." Anyone know what the differences are?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 08, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It might just be a matter of a little nudity, which was very brief.

However, I must note that the U.S. and the U.K. version of this are different, even on Super 8 optical sound. The UK version is slightly longer, with a love scene between Micheal York and the pretty "kitty Girl" (I'm sorry, the actresses name escapes me at the moment), quite steamy, as well as a few bits that were also edited out elsewhere, but it only comes to a a few minutes, maybe three minutes total.

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2015 03:48 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How could anyone forget Barbara Carrera? [Big Grin]
The version on Netflix has the brief nudity and a steamy scene.
Thanks, Osi.

++++++++++++++++SPOILER ALERT******************************
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

Which version has the extended ending with Carrera turning back into a beast? This is not in the Netflix version.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2015 01:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I've never even heard of that ending!!! Are you sure that we're taling about the 1977 version and not the Marlon branflake version from the 1990's?

Yes, Barberra!!! Thanks for the remembering! [Smile]

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from imdb

Yes, the 1977 version.

extended ending

This is a fun film, but at times, because of the make-up, reminds me of a '70s era Saturday morning children's show.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was really interesting! I wish my super 8 optical had that ending!

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 01:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 1933 version I would be curious to see. The French 1908 "Le docteur Lerne" film is also inspired by the same novel but it must be almost difficult to find.

--------------------
Dominique

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2015 01:33 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it in years, but the 1933 ISLAND OF LOST SOULS was pretty good from what I remember.

In the final scene of the 1977 version on Netflix, Barbara Carrera looks a bit strange but not quite like in the pic above. IMDB is a bit confusing since they say that "some people remember" -- maybe it was a preview print before the general release?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 13, 2015 01:45 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's interesting that in English the 1933 film has, unlike in french, a different title. I hadn't noticed that.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC