8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » "Just Dogs"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Just Dogs"
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 02, 2005 02:34 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently purchased this Classic Home Cinema super 8 release, and just had to comment on it.

"Just Dogs" is a black and white cartoon. It was the last of the "Silly Symphony" cartoons, released in 1935, and stars a very early Pluto. The story is very simple- Dogs are caged in a dog pound, and one mischevious puppy lets the other dogs lose, causing a lot of commotion. The puppy befriends Pluto, and the story ends with the two sharing a bone.

Nothing deep here, but an excellent example of the cartoons from that era. Music is played throughout, along with the usual sound effects. But what really impresses me with this super 8 release is the very high quality picture! This is probably the sharpest black and white I've ever seen on super 8. No dark or dim spots either, just perfect. The sound is just fine too. I sometimes run this cartoon just to show a good example of a high quality black and white super 8 print (and its on black and white stock too!).

I rank this up there with CHC's "Buddy's Theater". With this kind of quality material on super 8, I will definately be a regular customer.

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 06, 2005 11:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be the bearer of different tidings, but this wasn't the last Silly Symphony, maybe the last black and white on, if that's what you meant. I know that there are later ones, (The Ugly Ducking, The Old Mill (oscar winner)1937, Ferdinand the Bull, ect.)

This was a good cartoon, to be sure!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 06, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to be the bearer of different tidings, but this wasn't the last Silly Symphony, maybe the last black and white on, if that's what you meant. I know that there are later ones, (The Ugly Ducking, The Old Mill (oscar winner)1937, Ferdinand the Bull, ect.)

This was a good cartoon, to be sure!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2005 06:21 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Osi- You are quite right! I should know, I even have a copy of "The Old Mill" [Embarrassed] . And, as you said, a great cartoon as well! There's nothing like that old, classic, high quality animation- color, or black and white.

I recommend both.

Nick.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC