8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Toy Story (Derann)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toy Story (Derann)
Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is an excellent representation of the outstanding quality that Derann is renown for. The print is razor-sharp, with vibrant color. The original translucent quality of the animation is faithfully reproduced with the "sunny" glow that permeated the original theatrical release.

Best of all, it seems that Derann used Dolby audio tracks for the sound source material, because when I connect my GS-800 to an amplifier, I get full ProLogic playback: dialogue in the center channel, music and effects in the left, right and rear channels. That doesn't happen with my print of "The Lion King," which has good strong stereo but dual-channel dialogue and little rear-channel activity.

"Toy Story" is mounted on four 600' reels and the breaks are well-placed. There is some cropping of the credits at the beginning because it's a flat print, but it's certainly not fatal.

In summary, I can't imagine a 16mm print looking better than this -- especially considering that it would be mono to boot!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 15, 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A short but sweet review [Smile] And incidentally, a print of this very feature just showed up on eBay (the Derann super-8 one, of course)...!

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC