8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » Master and Commander

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Master and Commander
Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 07, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Master & Commander The Far Side of the World (2003)

-

Starring Russell Crowe as Captain "Lucky Jack" Aubrey.

During the Napoleonic Wars, a British frigate, HMS Surprise, and a much larger French warship, the Acheron, with greater fire power, stalk each other off of the coast of South America. Russell Crowe brings great intensity to the role of Captain Jack Aubrey. Lucky Jack, as he is referred to by his crew, is well regarded by his men, who trust him implicitly, even after the first devastating battle and an apparent personal vendetta against the French captain. While the naval battle sequences are quite fantastic, the film is successful because director Weir chose to build the story to get to know the men who are locked aboard the tight quarters of a small ship and how they interact everyday. The officers and the mates are well-known by the time the final battle comes. Paul Bettany offers a strong performance as the surgeon and naturalist who balances the violence of his chosen life with the quiet demeanour of the scientist. He is the captain's friend and confidant, the two frequently playing violin and cello duets together. The horrors of the injuries from the war are frequently implied, but vividly depicted in the reactions of the characters.
© IMDB.com

With a running time of 138 mins this release is supplied on 7 very full 400ft spools. Supplied this way as each 400ft reel is equal to the original 35mm 2000 ft spools and therefore has the original leaders and tails from the 35mm origination. This is the complete and uncut theatrical version in full scope and with a very good stereo soundtrack. Printed on Kodak Polyester film stock

On screen this film has a bite to the sharpness that is very hard to achieve especially for a scope release. Some very serious grading has taken place on this release as this print has a very wide brightness range. It has certainly paid off. Some scenes are extremely dark while others are very bright yet there is still detail at both ends of the spectrum. The super 8 print still has that haunting look about it for instance in the scene at the end of the first reel where the Surprise is attacked by the French and then left sitting in the water in a very beaten, lifeless way, the camera shows the Surprise from a high angle through all the smoke and greyness after the battle. That particular shot still looks awesome on this super8 print and has the same haunting feel that it did in the cinema.

The under deck scenes which are lit by the fires and candles etc also have that nice warm feel about them and again there is plenty of detail in the darkest of areas. Overall colour balance is very good and a very close match to the original (if my memory serves me right). Sound quality is also very good. The soundtrack is very clear and has a very good sonic range. I have tried putting the sound from my GS through a Dolby processor and there is sufficient detail for good Dolby surround. My only complaint is that the print could do with a higher recording level to give a better signal to noise ratio.

For those that have the facility to Pulse Sync their machine to a DVD...then go for it. It is exactly the same cut as the Region 2 DVD release which has a really awesome 5.1 soundtrack.

Overall this is an excellent release with great colour and sound. Picture stability is also extremely good with no need for any lube to get a steady image.
Derann have to be congratulated for the superb print quality of this first rate release, a title which unlike others around makes for good repeat viewing.
I have used the word awesome a number of times but yes this print is Awesome and a must have in every collection. It shows just how good super 8 can be with the modern film emulsions available today.
If you want a film to show what’s achievable on super 8 then this is one of them [Smile]

Kev.

[ December 18, 2005, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Kevin Faulkner ]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 10, 2005 11:19 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome review, if I may say so, thanks for the read [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 18, 2005 05:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jan [Smile] But then its an "Awesome" print [Big Grin]
Seriously though it really is a great print. I am going to show the full feature over the xmas break to the rest of the family. Will be starting with Mickey's Xmas Carol folowed by The Samll One and then after a break M&C.
That should give them numb bums after the 3 hr show [Big Grin]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2006 06:21 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev,

A fantastic post.

Thanks! [Smile]

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 06, 2006 06:49 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys. Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2009 05:35 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great review, Kevin.
And I did what you had suggested: I re-recorded it. This print is absolutely a must. If you like the genre, of course! [Wink]

-

This is a shot taken from my copy.

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 08, 2009 03:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Didnt think I would see this one resurrected again. Thanks Gian.

Kev.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2009 09:46 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How couldn't I, Kevin? It was you to talk me about this print. It's me I have to thank you. [Wink]

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, has your copy been supplied with the original box and artwork uploaded on your first post of this thread?
Mine was supplied without and I was a little sad because of it...

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 14, 2009 06:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gian,

Yes mine has the artwork which I designed in the first place for Derann and then Derann made a few alterations to.

I should be able to sort you a copy. (If I can find the files)

Kev.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2009 06:30 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Kevin,
nice to receive news from you.
I remembered it was you to 'create' the artwork.
It would be really kind of you to supply the file. Really.
Hope to receive soon good news.
Take care.

GIAN

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2009 06:09 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kevin, any news about the artwork? I hope you will be in a position to find the files. Let me know.
Take care.
[Wink]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 16, 2009 07:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gian,

Send me an email and I'll send out a scan of the cover.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 17, 2009 04:20 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, I have the original files backed up on a CD. As soon as I locate it for you I will send it over.

Kev.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2009 09:35 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys!

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 18, 2009 08:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Gian, emailed you the file this morning. Let me know if it got through ok as it was fairly large.

Kev.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
File received, Kevin. Thanks a lot.
I will tell you soon if the size is ok. Thanks a lot, by now. I like your version more than Derann's one (Doug, don't get offended. I really appreciated your help too!).
Thanks once more, pals.
[Smile]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 18, 2009 11:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Your more than welcome.

Kev.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 18, 2009 10:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lost again!

Kev, can you show us what the winning artwork looks like?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted September 19, 2009 05:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

I'd rather not put the artwork up on the forum for legal reasons but I will send it direct to your email address.

Kev.

--------------------

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2009 05:51 PM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, 'your' artwork was really nice too, believe me. And I did appreciate your help.
You will see the reason why I like best Kevin's.
Ciao.

GL

[ September 19, 2009, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Gian Luca Mario Loncrini ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC