8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Print Reviews   » KING KONG (1976) – 4 x 400 ft – MARKETING

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: KING KONG (1976) – 4 x 400 ft – MARKETING
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 04, 2006 08:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine Mini Feature from Marketing Film and a rare occurrence of the 4 reels treatment. This abridged version runs for almost 70 minutes.

The first reel opens with a view of the Petrox Explorer ship leaving NY’s harbor, with surimposed title, and cuts directly to the crew arriving at Skull Island.
It goes on with the discovery of the wall and the tribe, the kidnapping of Dwan by the natives and the sacrifice to Kong This first part ends with the waterfall scene, between Kong and Dwan.

And that’s – roughly – the middle of the full feature, meaning that reels #2 though #4 bring the remaining 65 minutes (or so) of the original film to 50 minutes. From the log bridge sequence to the crowd storming World Trade Center Plaza after Kong’s death, you don’t miss much of the action.

The print is presented in letterbox format (adapted scope). Apart from the title on the opening shot of reel #1, and forgetable title cards on the other spools, there are no other credits. No surprise here, as this is often the case with Marketing releases. Colours seem to be holding quite well. I have seen a couple of different reels from different origins and didn’t notice any major fading on all of them. Sound, in German, can be re-recorded in English with pulse-sync and the Region 2 DVD.

While browsing Ebay Germany, I have seen odd reels being sold with the "Revue" clamshell boxes. I don’t know if they are rebranded Marketing reels or "cut-downs of the cut-down". Also, as far as I remember, the film was available full length in the US. (Perhaps Andreas could confirm these two informations…)

Bonus - Here's the card that my better half and I sent to our friends this year for the Holiday Season...

-

[ January 04, 2006, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Jean-Marc Toussaint ]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 05, 2006 08:20 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Terrific card! The '76 King Kong was released by Marketing in the US & Canada as both a 400' cutdown and a full feature with a running time of 135 minutes. I can think of only a few titles that would benefit more from cutting out half the film.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2006 04:19 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes Jean-Marc,
there circulating different prints.

4 x 400 acetat prints of the first release in 1977.
striped after processing

4 x 400 thin polyester prints of later editions after 1978/79.

1 x 200 feet versions with scenes from the 4th part.
released in 1978.

Part 1 front
 -

Part 1 back
 -

Part 2 front
 -

Part 2 back
 -

Part 3 front
 -

Part 3 back
 -

Part 4 front
 -

Part 4 back
 -

marketing-film 66 m release exclusive for the
home order shopping company "Quelle" and their
stores only. Manufactured by marketing-film, in red boxes.
(no clamshell boxes, typical marketing hard-paper boxes)
Contains scenes from the 4th part.

Can upload only 8 images per post. Will add the revue box
after answer of this mail. No other way possible.

[ January 10, 2006, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2006 06:46 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Andreas!

Marketing always did put alot into their boxes. They actually took the time to put pictures for each specific reel on the boxes, and alot of them, too.

Looking forward to the rest of your posting on this subject.

Nick.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2006 08:45 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the 400 feet box contains the 200 feet version.

-

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2006 12:28 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a good campy flick eh?
My four reel 1930s"klassic kong" is a fine example of editorial"cut to the chase"thinking.From the title you go straight into a distressed sacrificed Fay, tied up,ready to meet Kong.After that,it is all action of course! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 05:16 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

apart from the Quelle-/Revue-200ft-edition, Marketing also released a 200ft edition in Germany which carried their own brand (order no. 865)

Jean-Marc,

your're right, there was also a full-length version released by the New York based subsidiary company Marketing International (catalog no. 4304) as well as a 400ft cutdown (order no. 4304-4) both of which were for sale within the USA and Canada only.

And, as you may know, there is also a trailer by Derann - by the way the only one of all these releases which is printed in the original scope-format.

Eberhard

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 08:02 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eberhard,

"apart from the Quelle-/Revue-200ft-edition, Marketing also released a 200ft edition in Germany which carried their own brand (order no. 865)"

That isn´t 100% correct.
There was only one 200 feet extract.
The exclusive revue-editions from marketing have the revue order no. on the front, back and small site of the cover. Only on the small site they have also a marketing internal number for the stock in Bochum.
For example "Saturday Night Fever 200feet edition revue order no. 8780, internal marketing-film number 797.

revue order numbers in four digits and with beginning of an 8 was the result of that deal that over 90% of revue edition came from Piccolo Film. They order numbers also have had four digits.
beginning with 9 were universal titles, beginning with 5 were columbia titles, 7 for Disney, 8 ->revue, 3-> independent......

On the few MGM releases wich were distributed in Germany by marketing-film the US-Manufactures also printed the
marketing-film number over the MGM-numbers.
967 - M4 - Quo Vadis
998 - M7 - Logans Run
969 - M8 - The dirty Dozen

Later, when marketing-film took a step over the Atlantic, they used numbers starting with 4 or 2 for the stock in N.Y. first.
for example:
Saturday Night Fever
full feature 4001
400er - 401-4
3x400 - 401-1, 401-2, 401-3
200er - 2401 which is the same version marketing sold for revue.

Later marketing-film-international changed to the german order numbers which started in 1974 with 801 and which with each published reel was increased by one.
Prohecy - 1049,1050,1051

The order numbers between 500 and 750 was reserved for the adult labels of marketing.
Few weeks ago I was amused about a message from a spanish collector. He sent me a pic with boxes from "Airplane" and "
"One Eyed Jacks" which shows plastic inlay of their adult lable "love film production".

-

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2006 12:53 PM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Review Jean-Marc, and because of it, i purchased a print. WOW! Thank you! VERY COOL! I was never a fan of ANY kong film post Kong 33'. Obviously, as a child HE was KONG. Then I realized what the problem has always been. Kong no matter what interpretation on film, MUST be viewed on the big screen. There, one can marvel at a giant, on the old television....one towers over the eighth wonder of the world. We are larger than the threat.
I had never seen this film version on the screen, until last week. I had re-recorded the film into STEREO (of course). Resulting in an INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE! As for the special effects...I'd rather watch a man in a suit, than a digital cartoon. Perhaps, Since I do not watch todays Digitally filled films of pixeled "special effects". When and IF i do, they still seem cartoonish to me, and DEFINATELY not resembling anything sustaining life.
Below are some scenes from the showing.

-

-

-

-

There are SO many shots which are simply grandioso with it's artistry. In Light, shadow, and use of color. The 6 track dolby surround track was booming. Incredible! This was an experience, not just a "picture show". This has become one of my favorite digests in my collection. This film serves as a reminder of what happens when you remove a "god" from it's native surroundings. A Poetic Tragedy.

[ August 20, 2006, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Robert Aragon ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 21, 2006 03:08 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, thank you for your input. I have (or so I think) all the Kong films (even A.P.E. !!!) as I've been a fan of the character since childhood.

You should definitely give Peter Jackson's version a try. It's the best love letter ever written to the original 1933 film. And Andy Sirkis's performance is today's version of "a guy in a suit". [Wink]

If our friends at Derann could release some extracts of that... Wow... The bronto stampede, the V-rex fight, the NY car chase... That would be wondrous.

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 10:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
It's now over to Adrian and Ged of DERANN.What you think guys?.Andy.

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,
Unfortunately, I know a few people who worked on the film to truly enjoy their work. I have always been a lover of film, obviously, but my experiences with these people has literally rendered me unable to watch some of their work. This has never been the case of the older generation of filmmakers and actors. They have only reaffirmed my love and appreciation for their efforts. There is so much hypocrisy and "hidden" agendas, that it simply rubs me the wrong way. Perhaps, I'm too sensitive of an artist.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2006 12:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

If you can get past your negative experiences with part of the new "Kong" crew, I believe you'll enjoy the film. The original Kong is a superior film, but Peter Jackson's heart is in exactly the right place, and he's made an extremely enjoyable movie.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted August 21, 2006 01:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I understand how you feel. Every industry is the same. I do have a few ennemies cause I told them this job they had done wasn't their best. Hypocrisy is everywhere and I'm quite fed up negociating with people who let you believe they wanna buy a Lexus when their budget would allow them to purchase a second-hand Geo.
Many, many moons ago I had the pleasure of meeting with Peter Jackson (he was a complete unknown then, the firsdt time was for Bad Taste, then for Meet the Feebles and finally for Braindead) and Richard Taylor (when Weta was just a bunch of Apple Macs in his kitchen - no kidding - I met him for Braindead and Heavenly Creatures). Now they are superstars... And they are talented so they really deserve their success.
Don't pass this opportunity to have a good time watching the film, especially if you're a Kong fan. [Wink]

--------------------

Robert Aragon
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Robert Aragon   Email Robert Aragon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, i'll try. I promise. I'll do it for kong...no one else.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC